A South African's Introduction

TBH9511

Reaction score
Hey all!

Just thought I would drop a quick introduction on the forum.

I have recently just sent through my application and all other relevant details that my AFCO requested so my road to becoming a YO is underway. It has always been a dream of mine to join the Royal Marines specifically and soldiering is something which I feel has in many ways always been a part of my life and heritage - the majority of my ancestors and both my Grandfathers were part of the British Armed Forces. There are countless reasons as to why I want to join the RM but I want to keep this short and to the point!

I am from South Africa but relocating to the UK within the next couple of months - the majority of my family is there and I kind of always knew from a very young age that I would end up in the country where my family originates.

I have finished university and obtained my degrees and for the last year my only focus has been helping with the family business and learning new skills directed towards my (hopefully) long term military career. Have been training twice a day every day to ensure that when the time comes to do my PJFT, I can crush it. Then I guess it will come down to acclimatizing to a new environment and ensuring that I am both mentally and physically ready to do my POC. My goal is to get selected for the September intake of YOs but I do understand that anything can happen and delays are a very real thing - either way I will not let that distract me from my final goal.

Would also just like to add that this forum has helped inspire me immensely and has answered almost every question I have had without me even needing to ask! So part of this introduction is to give a big THANK YOU to all those who post advice and and are continuously helping potential recruits such as myself.

I wish you all the best in your career, the best in your training and the best in life overall.

Hopefully I might meet some of you in the near future but until then keep training, keep posting, and keep those heads held high.

Kindly,

TB9511.