A stumbling block?

Reaction score
Hi all. Today I was supposed to have my selection interview for the RMR, however, I instead had a call to tell me that I am ineligible to join. The guy I spoke to said that things had changed with regards to women joining the RMR, and in short they were not currently able to after all, and would only be eligible to join the regulars. He also mentioned that the upper age for joining was 32, rather than before your 33rd birthday, which would also see me fall short of being able to join the next troop starting training in 2021 (I will be 32 in March).
I was hoping somebody/anybody (maybe the guide) might be able to help and confirm if this is correct or not? I can’t understand how I could potentially be given incorrect information from a recruiting office, but the information available on the internet is conflicting and I am not quite ready to just roll over and give up at this point, particularly when time is very much no longer on my side.

Thanks in advance.

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
They always say that recruitment is one of the commando tests, in the reserves.
Rules and regulations are fluid and sometimes grey, so it’s always best to get advice from the CAs and maybe the Unit you are joining.

The rule re: age was that you had to be in training before your 33rd birthday, but as said things change.

interesting to her that females currently can’t join the reserves. Be interesting to see the reason

B

Blackers

Sorry to hear this! I’ve a feeling this might be a unit thing as opposed to an RMR wide thing! Apparently some RMR detachments aren’t accepting female applicants! Best to call the detachment you are hoping to join and ask them! Fingers crossed for you

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this! I’ve a feeling this might be a unit thing as opposed to an RMR wide thing! Apparently some RMR detachments aren’t accepting female applicants! Best to call the detachment you are hoping to join and ask them! Fingers crossed for you
Didn’t want to say, but this was my thought process given the “infrastructure” required.
Be interested in any updates

Chelonian

Reaction score
I honestly can't see how RMR detachments can swerve recruitment of females regardless of infrastructure issues. But one of the Career Advisers can hopefully clarify.

On the topic of age I took a quick squiz just now at the official recruitment page and it appears unchanged and straightforward:

Screenshot 2020-09-03 at 14.07.05.png

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
@Duracell Bunny, The age issue is you must have started training by your 33rd Birthday, (so you have to be 32 - which you will be) you will not get an age waiver (does not appear to be required in your case) unless very exceptional circumstances - i.e a delay beyond your control / you have a highly desired skill set form previous military experience. So you can apply for regular service, I would point out it would be a very hard slog at 32, and as a female may be more so, purely down to muscle distribution that males v females have, but if you have it in the tank nothing stopping you.

As for the RMR to be honest, I have seen nothing and can find nothing- (i have literally just checked the new rules publications list for you -they maybe some new rule about ??? but I cannot find such a rule ) to the effect of what you have described and will repeat what @Chelonian has said - the rules are service-wide and a detachment will be very unlikely to be able to negate the rules, I would ask for clarification as to thier reasons for this as it seems arbitrary at best if not an incorrect decision.

What I will add is the only new bits as of 20th Aug -A new guidance note came out letting AFCO,s know that they can direct females to our medical cell so that can discuss what medical implications may be present for females undergoing training - so a for info chat - this guidance sheet has no bearing on the rules at all.!!

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
I would point out it would be a very hard slog at 32, and as a female may be more so, purely down to muscle distribution that males v females have, but if you have it in the tank nothing stopping you.

All great info though don’t 100% agree with it being a very hard slog. I know a number of people who passed RMR training from 30 onwards and up to 34 years of age.

It’s all down to the individual, the phys and mental strength.

One question: Is it the case CTC had to wait for a female to get their green lid before training females could start and if so why is this not the case for RMR?

also if a detachment doesn’t have changing facilities for both is that not an issue or does everyone muck in?

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
If you honestly believe training at 32 will not be a hard slog you are frankly not aware of what regular service recruit training does to individuals, my reference was to regular service not RMR and the attrition inflicted on anyone is testing on a 32 year old even more so, and for a female maybe even more so due to the physical disparity between male and females which factually exsist!. For clarity I went through at 28 which is considered old !!
Of course differing individual s will cope better or worse than others but Full time service recruit trading is pretty much a slog for everybody.

As for needing a female to pass no not the case they can apply the same as anybody else with no restrictions,
It will be down to each detachment to cater to females as appropriate and as required by UK law and military rules and regulations.

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hi all. Today I was supposed to have my selection interview for the RMR, however, I instead had a call to tell me that I am ineligible to join. The guy I spoke to said that things had changed with regards to women joining the RMR, and in short they were not currently able to after all, and would only be eligible to join the regulars. He also mentioned that the upper age for joining was 32, rather than before your 33rd birthday, which would also see me fall short of being able to join the next troop starting training in 2021 (I will be 32 in March).
I was hoping somebody/anybody (maybe the guide) might be able to help and confirm if this is correct or not? I can’t understand how I could potentially be given incorrect information from a recruiting office, but the information available on the internet is conflicting and I am not quite ready to just roll over and give up at this point, particularly when time is very much no longer on my side.

Thanks in advance.
The way I read it, you are 32 until you reach your 33rd birthday and as long as selection is passed successfully in all respects before day one of recruit training, still before the 33rd birthday (RMR or RM), irrespective of gender (unless the RMR has again changed the rules and officially published the change with government approval), then there's a case for an official enquiry via your local MP.

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
If you honestly believe training at 32 will not be a hard slog you are frankly not aware of what regular service recruit training does to individuals, my reference was to regular service not RMR and the attrition inflicted on anyone is testing on a 32 year old even more so, and for a female maybe even more so due to the physical disparity between male and females which factually exsist!. For clarity I went through at 28 which is considered old !!
Of course differing individual s will cope better or worse than others but Full time service recruit trading is pretty much a slog for everybody.

As for needing a female to pass no not the case they can apply the same as anybody else with no restrictions,
It will be down to each detachment to cater to females as appropriate and as required by UK law and military rules and regulations.

You can have your opinion based on regular training - I will respect that, especially as I can not relate to it.

RMR - I will have my opinion as I have experienced it, had oppos breeze it at 33 and 34 years of age.

Both routes deserve their own respect as they are harder in different ways. I truly acknowledge the regular service is harder for a multitude of reasons for the veteran recruit. However, equally an older recruit in RMR may have different pressures.

It’s not unachievable

thegingerone

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I always say that don't let age stand in your way!

It may be slightly different, but look at some of the top athletes in the world right now: Kipchoge (fastest ever marathon runner at 35), Djokovic 33, Ronaldo 35, Lebron James 35, Serena Williams 38, Tom Brady 43.

There are different factors in the world of sports but there are also similarities. Age can give you maturity, perspective and the ability to lead others.

In the RMR you have time to train smart and manage your body if you are on the older side.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I always say that don't let age stand in your way!

It may be slightly different, but look at some of the top athletes in the world right now: Kipchoge (fastest ever marathon runner at 35), Djokovic 33, Ronaldo 35, Lebron James 35, Serena Williams 38, Tom Brady 43.

There are different factors in the world of sports but there are also similarities. Age can give you maturity, perspective and the ability to lead others.

In the RMR you have time to train smart and manage your body if you are on the older side.

Athletics and fitness is slightly different to Commando training. And there is always outliers. Plus why does capita refuse younger men(and women) with inherently less risk, but have sports related injuries that further increase their risk by a small percentage?

If a bloke with a previous injury of a broken leg is refused because of a 20% increase risk of injury and failure to pass out;
Why should a woman who automatically has a 50% chance failure (as per the governments own research and report), Not taking into account previous injuries but with the risk of injury and failure increasing with age. (We have already discussed the factor of female bodies more prone to osteoporosis due to their inability to process testosterone as effectively as men, and the various other factors such as women 2-4 times more likely to develop ACL injuries. And an increase in pelvic and lower musculoskeletal injuries)

But we have discussed that to death in other threads. And I certainly don’t agree with the way recruitment is handled. Capita is a complete failure and I hope to Odin’s big toe the contract doesn’t get renewed.

However a reason for the delay of women in RMR is infrastructure, in order to comply with regulations and taking into account duty of care, etc etc some units need a complete overhaul.

Reaction score
Hi All. Thankyou for your responses and advice. I’ve attempted to call RMR Bristol a couple times so far for clarification - no luck getting hold of anyone yet so I resume my enquiry on Monday.
On a positive note I did at least find out yesterday that I will need my previous service records in order to proceed with any potential application, which I was previously unaware of, so at least I can get the forms filled out and submitted to Glasgow in the meantime.

In terms of the rigours of training, I can certainly say I’m aware that I will be at an immediate physical disadvantage in comparison to the guys, and I’d be lying if I didn’t say I had a couple concerns (load carrying and fireman’s carries, based on me floating between 66-72kg and being average height), but I’m also a great believer of mindset, and that the body is capable of achieving amazing things with the right attitude.
Age wise I definitely wish this had been an opportunity when I was in my 20’s, as recovery certainly feels slower now than it did then, but this doesn’t put me off. RT will break people of all ages, just as equally as there will be those in more injury prone categories that will succeed.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi All. Thankyou for your responses and advice. I’ve attempted to call RMR Bristol a couple times so far for clarification - no luck getting hold of anyone yet so I resume my enquiry on Monday.
On a positive note I did at least find out yesterday that I will need my previous service records in order to proceed with any potential application, which I was previously unaware of, so at least I can get the forms filled out and submitted to Glasgow in the meantime.

In terms of the rigours of training, I can certainly say I’m aware that I will be at an immediate physical disadvantage in comparison to the guys, and I’d be lying if I didn’t say I had a couple concerns (load carrying and fireman’s carries, based on me floating between 66-72kg and being average height), but I’m also a great believer of mindset, and that the body is capable of achieving amazing things with the right attitude.
Age wise I definitely wish this had been an opportunity when I was in my 20’s, as recovery certainly feels slower now than it did then, but this doesn’t put me off. RT will break people of all ages, just as equally as there will be those in more injury prone categories that will succeed.

Give it a good smash. As far as I read it, it’s under 33 so keep chasing it up.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
@Duracell Bunny , as a rejoin your application should be fast tracked by being processed by a team in Portsmouth called RISST as long as you have indicated you have prior service on your application!! This may also provide driver in the process that may reduce the bumps in the road!!

Reaction score
@Duracell Bunny , as a rejoin your application should be fast tracked by being processed by a team in Portsmouth called RISST as long as you have indicated you have prior service on your application!! This may also provide driver in the process that may reduce the bumps in the road!!
Thanks @The guide. I should clarify that my previous service was only with the reserves (Army). Would this still apply? I put down about my previous service in the application, but I can’t remember if I did it separately, or under the specific section, based on not having all of the extra information that was then requested. I will have to see if I can check.

B

Blackers

If her CA has told her that females cannot join RMR and that turns out to be incorrect. Which it looks to be going by what the guide has stated then questions maybe need to be asked as to why this CA is cutting his own detail and giving out duff gen. Keep fighting!

Reaction score
Still no real progress, although I did speak to my CA last week who clarified that the issue was that the infrastructure to provide for female RMR recruits was not yet that - as was mentioned by others to be the potential issue:(
I did however ask if it was possible to continue with the application, in the hope that this might change over the course of the next 6 months or so and I’m just waiting for a response back. Unless maybe @The guide or anyone else could confirm if this would be possible or not?
My gut feeling tells me that it will not be a viable option, and that I will have to just hope that things change swiftly enough that I can re-submit an application in due course before time runs out-nailbiting-