A stumbling block?

Chelonian

Reaction score
...although I did speak to my CA last week who clarified that the issue was that the infrastructure to provide for female RMR recruits was not yet that - as was mentioned by others to be the potential issue:(

If they can get away with that I'll be astonished. Females have qualified to enlist in RMR since early 2019. But I'm not a CA. Hopefully @The guide or @CHUB! might comment further.

I assume that the apparent confusion about maximum age has been resolved?

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
You should be able to progress your application and go on hold with the hope it will be resolved , and some onus will be in the detachment if they have recruits eating as opposed to none!! Convey your desire to proceed to your AFCO and that you are aware of the issues but given your timeframes you want to be as ready as possible.

On hold is a actual status for the recruitment process for certain situations , so you are not asking for something new to be created. Your AFCO may be privy to information I do not have so you may get the same reply , but no harm in asking!!

Reaction score
If they can get away with that I'll be astonished. Females have qualified to enlist in RMR since early 2019. But I'm not a CA. Hopefully @The guide or @CHUB! might comment further.

I assume that the apparent confusion about maximum age has been resolved?
It does seem a little strange to me given that fact, but hopefully things will get sorted out in due course if it is definitely the case that dets. can’t accommodate females as yet.
Maximum age confusion appears to have been sorted out - my CA did mention that they haven’t been in the role very long, so I’m sure it was just a simple case of misinterpretation. Either way nothing has been mentioned since regarding that problem which is certainly one step forwards at least.

You should be able to progress your application and go on hold with the hope it will be resolved , and some onus will be in the detachment if they have recruits eating as opposed to none!! Convey your desire to proceed to your AFCO and that you are aware of the issues but given your timeframes you want to be as ready as possible.

On hold is a actual status for the recruitment process for certain situations , so you are not asking for something new to be created. Your AFCO may be privy to information I do not have so you may get the same reply , but no harm in asking!!
Thanks @The guide. I’ve spoken to my AFCO today and mentioned this - CA agreed this was a viable option so I’ve now got my medical questionnaire and opticians report to tackle. Hoping to request a copy of my medical history today to ensure I fill everything out correctly, and so that I’m ready for when I’ve eventually had my triage call, as I’m anticipating being made TMU at the very least.

Periphery

Reaction score
Athletics and fitness is slightly different to Commando training.

How come? Ronaldo, Zlatan or Lebron could easily pass RT. They're freak athletes theres a reason why they're at the top of their game and making millions, now they might not have the right mentality but they certainly have the physical attributes. Hell any Premier League player could potentially pass RT. Genetics play a huge role, some people are just very prone to getting injured others not so much.

Chris Terril was 55 when he earned his green beret.

Last edited:

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
How come? Ronaldo, Zlatan or Lebron could easily pass RT. They're freak athletes theres a reason why they're at the top of their game and making millions, now they might not have the right mentality but they certainly have the physical attributes. Hell any Premier League player could potentially pass RT. Genetics play a huge role, some people are just very prone to getting injured others not so much.

Nobody ”could easily pass RT”. Fitness makes up a relatively small part of training. What makes it hard is a MINIMUM of 32 weeks of relentless pressure. It is without exception, a person’s mental attitude which gets them through.

The Commando Tests at the end are relatively easy on their own. The 30 miler is 8 hours, which any unfit person can achieve. What makes it hard is having around 40lb of kit on your back and doing it straight after three other tests, which starts immediately after an 8 day exercise with very little sleep and extreme physical fatigue. Add to that the previous 28 weeks of equally hard training, which is carried out in all weathers and you may get an idea of what it is like.

Many international and top flight sport’s teams have been to CTC for a few days to sample what it is like, the most recent was the England football team last year and they have all remarked how hard things were there.

Chris Terril was awarded his beret at 55, but he did not complete the full RT programme, neither did any of the other so called celebrities, such as Bear Grylls, or members of the Royal Family.

If anyone believes that because they are fit to a high standard and can just rock up at CTC and get through on their fitness alone, then they are in for a big wake up call.

Alan

Chelonian

Reaction score
Just to add to the comment by @Caversham arguably every day of the minimum of thirty-two weeks is a test.
It's important to not underestimate the mental robustness required.

Using the example of Ronaldo I'm uncertain how he would cope if told the evening before an expected weekend leave that it was cancelled because of his poor performance.

"But my girlfriend and my children have flown here and are waiting for me across the road in the car park!"

Tough.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
As said above, I suspect the Commando tests are one thing. The “experience” of the full recruit training is something entirely different.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Chris Terrell, did his course piecemeal , he passed the Commando tests not basic training- simple fact, as for footballers I have been in the bottom field and endurance course with Chelsea FC , England Football and Rugby teams and only a handful of them aced the very short 2 days they were active, their physicality is very different to a Royal Marine, Rugby players were better , so the assertion a footballer would pass RT is off the mark , decent CV and quick , as a 5,5 bloke a good percentage of the footballers could not live with me in the sessions and I was not Phys monster , so the assertion is wrong.

PS - Not knocking Chris Terrell in any way - top bloke - and put himself out there with the lads on tour and produced a fair and accurate picture, nothing but respect for the guy.!!

thegingerone

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It's an interesting debate.

I initially started the conversation about athletes not to ask whether they could pass 32 weeks of training, but more to question peaking and the perception of what is old from a performance perspective. Someone above was worried about being 'too old' to pass training at 32, and I used the example of elite athletes still able to perform at the top level in their mid 30's

On that note, has the upper age limit for RT changed over time?

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It's an interesting debate.

I initially started the conversation about athletes not to ask whether they could pass 32 weeks of training, but more to question peaking and the perception of what is old from a performance perspective. Someone above was worried about being 'too old' to pass training at 32, and I used the example of elite athletes still able to perform at the top level in their mid 30's

Not recently, it changed quiet a few years back and once only if I'm correct.

But age limits for UKSFR and Army/Navy changed recently.

Chelonian

Reaction score

From memory the upper age limit for Other Rank enlistment was twenty-six. I think it was then changed to thirty. Now RT must be commenced on the day before one's thirty-third birthday.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

It’s easy to play sports in a nice air conditioned hall, on a good full nights rest, with a team of doctors monitoring your drug input, your food and hydration levels, with a nice bit of rest and massage therapy after each game.

Could they run 30miles in the allotted time? Probably. But could they do it sleep deprived, carrying niggling injuries from the previous 30 weeks, or longer, cold, wet, hungry?

Wet and dry routine is an equaliser. I started training with a few semi-professional sportsmen, 1 didn’t make it past the first exercise because he didn’t like getting woken up to do sentry or like putting wet clothes back on. And a few others didn’t like the tactical side or having disturbed sleep or getting wet and cold.

Plus it’s not just about the physical attributes. It’s about the mental state, team work and aptitude to military tactics. You can be a total phys ninja, but as tactical as potato, that won’t help anyone.

diggernet

Reaction score
This happened to me last year when I applied. Was 32, I went around recruiting and called some navy hq number and said I wasn’t prepared to take no for an answer. Got an email from recruiting 2 days later saying my application had progressed.
I’m past the half way point in training and just turned 33. Age is just a number, lick the stamp and send it

Reaction score
@Duracell Bunny How's the application going along... Any headway?
It’s been fairly stagnant for the last 8ish weeks. I’ve had my eye test done and was also sent the medical questionnaire to fill out. I decided to get hold of my medical records via my GP to make certain everything is filled out as accurately as possible - this request was supposed to take 28 days, but almost double the time later and I’ve just been given them. Will be finishing the bits I had held off on filling out tomorrow, ready to send on Monday, so finger’s crossed I’ll be moving forwards again soon.
One positive bit of info that I have been able to acquire is that the next recruit troop at the detachment I’m hoping to join won’t be starting until the later part of next year, which was very much the news I was hoping for, to give me the maximum time possible to get through any hiccups the application process throws up, as well as ensuring my fitness is where it needs to be.