AACC for Royal Marines Band

Bassbandy

Reaction score
Hello, just wondering where the best place to ask about the AACC is on here? any help with information on how to apply etc with the course would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Rover

Reaction score
First things first.

Are you serving at the moment that is completed training in any of the services?

Bassbandy

Reaction score
Yes, however i think i have a slightly unique case... im currently a serving memeber of the Royal Marines Band. I am aware that usually the course is given to units that work alongside 3 cdo brigade when it comes to the army, but I am unsure as to how that works with memebrs of the Royal Navy, let alone a Royal Marine. Would I even be eligable as I already have the cap badge so to speak?

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yes, however i think i have a slightly unique case... I'm currently a serving memeber of the Royal Marines Band. I am aware that usually the course is given to units that work alongside 3 cdo brigade when it comes to the army, but I am unsure as to how that works with memebrs of the Royal Navy, let alone a Royal Marine. Would I even be eligable as I already have the cap badge so to speak?

Short answer: probably not.

Your job doesn’t require it, and it’s not what you want, it’s what the service needs.

I will jump back to the thread after work.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As a Bandy, the odds of your band sparing you to undertake AACC are virtually nil unfortunately as there is no operational requirement for RMBS personnel to undertake AACC, places are at a premium and the RM Band Service would need to be prepared to spare you for 9 weeks for no apparent return in their investment.

It is not uncommon for RMBS personnel to want to transfer to become a Commando following their initial 15 weeks initial recruit training and some have transferred but few successfully managing to achieve trained status.

Go back far enough and Drummer/Buglers were commonly drawn from trained rank Royal Marines and there was a time when musicians were issued green berets in the 1990s but it was very short-lived due to the fact the Commando Course didn't figure in their training.

The problem the RMBS has is if they routinely permit musicians (who undergo 2 years 8 months training at huge expense) to undergo AACC, they will ultimately haemorrhage Musicians who wish to step across the chasm because promotion with in the Band Service is painfully slow due to their limited numbers.

Already there have been female Musicians loaned to CTC to conduct trials for the advent of Female Commandos in 2019.

I imagine their freedom to establish a routine whereby AACC is wholly viable would inevitably lead to a significant reduction in RMBS trained ranks - and we're already short of them. Cut the numbers further and another band will inevitably get the chop.

Bassbandy

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. Unfortunatly this is just confirming what i had originally thought.

The RMBS already has a retention problem due to lack of promotion, regardless of the AACC, which is one of the main causes of people looking elsewhere, but thats a seperate forum issue all together.

So other than transfer to the RMC, is it technically impossible for me to actually apply for the course? Or can i apply and be rejected? Because to me they are two different things.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Oh, nearly forgot: to apply, submit a request through the divisional chain to undergo AACC.

Don't hold your breath - suffocation often disappoints, but best o'luck.

The only way I could see you genuinely getting a place on AACC is by applying to undergo UKSF selection as all Naval personnel must successfully complete AACC first. If you then pass AACC you could then change your mind about the SF bit....just sayin'.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. Unfortunatly this is just confirming what i had originally thought.

The RMBS already has a retention problem due to lack of promotion, regardless of the AACC, which is one of the main causes of people looking elsewhere, but thats a seperate forum issue all together.

So other than transfer to the RMC, is it technically impossible for me to actually apply for the course? Or can i apply and be rejected? Because to me they are two different things.

Are you interested in the soldiering side of things, or are you just threaders with the band?

Bassbandy

Reaction score
Are you interested in the soldiering side of things, or are you just threaders with the band?

Im interested in the soldiering side which unfortunatly being a bandy i dont get to do alot of! If it wasnt for family reasons i would straight up ask for a transfer but the AACC seemed like the only way i could really do that!

Would be open to other suggested routes though.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I'm interested in the soldiering side which unfortunatly being a bandy i dont get to do alot of! If it wasnt for family reasons i would straight up ask for a transfer but the AACC seemed like the only way i could really do that!

Would be open to other suggested routes though.

A lot of lads that start RM training have families and commitments, so it would be possible for you to achieve it.
The problem would be if you have an established home and suited military life to then end up punted up to 45, I would imagine the band don’t have as many postings? So you will have to be prepared for that.
You will be bottom of the pile again for promotion, so by the time you reach promotion within the corps, you could have been promoted within the band.

Ninja seems on point with his route, it’s necky but possible. Just keep your mouth shut about doing it, as your cheating the system.

I can’t see any other way without straight up transferring and starting from scratch.

I am ashamed to say I am a bit ignorant to what the Band does, is it purely music and drill, I am sure I read something about stretcher bearers. Is there any “greener” postings you can go for within the band?
And if you ever get time, any chance you could pen a few words in a thread about the band and some of your experiences.
It’s a very undervalued/under represented part of the RM on this Forum, we have only had 1 thread so far about it.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

RMDO

RM Digital Outreach CTC
Reaction score
Asked the question here and although years ago there was 7 bands and one of them all had green lids (something along them lines) it is no longer available to RMB, due to it taking 3 years to train you, for you to then get injured/broken on a AACC. Can always transfer, hope this helps.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Asked the question here and although years ago there was 7 bands and one of them all had green lids (something along them lines) it is no longer available to RMB, due to it taking 3 years to train you, for you to then get injured/broken on a AACC. Can always transfer, hope this helps.
Many moons ago, all bandies/buglers wore green lids if they were working with or alongside a Commando Unit.

40 Commando had two buglers attached to them when I was in there and they both wore the green beret. Similarly, the band who were supporting 3 Commando Brigade during the Falklands conflict all wore the lid whilst down South. Not sure when it all changed, but doesn't happen now.

Alan

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Many moons ago, all bandies/buglers wore green lids if they were working with or alongside a Commando Unit.

40 Commando had two buglers attached to them when I was in there and they both wore the green beret. Similarly, the band who were supporting 3 Commando Brigade during the Falklands conflict all wore the lid whilst down South. Not sure when it all changed, but doesn't happen now.

Alan

Will probably all change back like the 16th AA lads and the maroon beret.
Something about feelings and being left out other weak, lefty stuff.

Bassbandy

Reaction score

Alan

In my experience of chatting to some of the bandies that were amongst those to get a green lid, it seems as though it was just handed out when they signed up.
Obviously the Commandos, and rightfully so, were getting pissed off with the fact that they had to work so hard and also the point that the bandies were not truely entitled to wear the beret.
So naturally the band reverted back to the blue recruit beret and using the cap when in lovats.

Bassbandy

Reaction score

Sorry if im being abit bone here, but by saying 'here' do you mean the at CTC itself?

cc1

(former RM)
Reaction score
I worked at CLR alongside a large proportion of AACC ranks (and their training team) I could put some questions their way, provided I knew what they were?