Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

AACC - One for Ninja?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Old Man, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

Just wondering what the pass-out rate was for the All Arms Commando Course and how it compares with RM Recruits.

2. ste preece

ste preece Former RM

Insight

The AACC is a watered down version of the Commando course, carried out by ranks from other services who want to be commando trained and want to work as support troops for the Royal Marines. i.e. Artillery, Engineers, Medics, Logistics etc.

They are already trained soldiers. However, their standards are quite often well below that required to work with the marines. Consequently, the training teams have to work hard to resolve this.
    It isn't easy by any means and like everybody else, they have a failure rate.

Ninja may be able to give you the stats.

From a Marines' point of view, if you want to earn the Green Beret, then join the Marines, but from a logical all encompassing military force point of view they are invaluable support troops, who become the best of their kind.

Cheers

Steve

3. ste preece

ste preece Former RM

Training

A Royal Marine's basic training is designed to train you in all aspects of warfare. The pysical and mental demands of the course are relentless. The AACC is nothing like it, apart from the Commando training phase and the commando tests.

The AACC is almost about 2/3 less in time and content as they are already training soldiers. Albeit: To a much lesser standard.

On the other hand the marine recruits are undergoing their training over this long period, being made fit but also run ragged. It was stated when I served that you actually recover a great deal after basic training because your body gets the rest it needs. Hence the full course is a hell of a lot more challenging and reputed as such.

Other ranks would have a good chance at excelling at breaking the times, because they aren't doing the FULL RM training. So, like I said, from a Marine's point of view, if you want to join the Corps and earn the Green Bert, join the Marines.

No disrespect to the AACC guys, by the way. They are exceptional at their role.

Also: In the 80's the record was held by an RMR rank.

Cheers

Steve

4. gedro

gedro New Member

I think the current fastest time is currently held by a fella from the netherlands who did the AACC a while back, for the tarzan course and the assault course its 7 minute something. It said something on the records board next to the commando slide.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

As stated above the All Arms Commando Course is a Commando course for all arms of the services, culminating in the four Commando Tests.

The course is 9 weeks long (including the physical prep week) and is aimed at providing Commando capable Navy, Army & Air Force personnel to serve with & in support of 3 Commando Brigade. The course is for currently serving servicepeople only & as such is not advertised at point of entry recruiting offices. (AFCOs, ACIOs) Those successfully completing the course are entitled to wear the green beret & Royal Navy personnel are entitled to wear the official Royal Navy Commando shoulder flash. The parent unit beret badge is worn on the beret (eg: RN Officer or Ratings badge, RE, RA, Rifles or RAF badges, etc). There are usually around four courses per year.

We don't actually have routine access to the pass/fail stats as it's an "in service" course but would guess that the pass fail rate is broadly similar to RM Recruit Training, despite the fact that those taking the course have former military service. If I can find out more, I'll post on this thread.

6. HHHNNN

HHHNNN Member

Just a quick question,

If someone did the AACC and won there green beret would they wear it with the RM cap badge on it or with there regiments cap badge?

7. Davies.1990.

Davies.1990. New Member

i think it would be there regiment badge. and the aacc is six weeks long i think my mates starting it next week he is a light gunner in the army.

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The quote below, is on the post immediately above the quoted question above.

Only Royal Marines wear a Royal Marines cap/beret badge because they are Royal Marines. Hopefully that clarifies the issue.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Then he's in for a surprise:

10. Trainhard-playhard

Trainhard-playhard New Member

To clarify, those who pass are entitled to wear the gren beret with their own unit's cap badge.

Does that then mean while on parade you will get a few green berets on heads here and there amongst the men line up? Or do those who have earned it normally wear their regular headdress?

11. ste preece

ste preece Former RM

Parade

On parade, the ranks that aren't marines often stand amongst their own personnel.

If they go back to their unit, they then have to wear their own beret, of their parent regiment. They can however, continue to wear a commando dagger badge on their arm.

Cheers
    Steve

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

As Ste says, the AACC flash may be worn also on "dress uniform" usually on the right sleeve:

[​IMG]

13. FYD

FYD New Member

I read in an issue of Soilder mag that a couple of 1rifle guys were given the royal marine cap badge because they excelled at the AACC. Its ment to be a top honor for anyone who passes the AACC.

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

:biggrin: I'm afraid that even if you are absolutely outstanding during AACC, you are doomed to remain in the Army, Navy, RAF. Even if the recipient of a Globe & Laurel were ceremonially presented with one (a new one on me), unless they actually transfer to the Corps they cannot wear it on their beret.

People have been known to transfer to the Royal Marines if they have a trade (signals for example) which the Corps seeks.