Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.
  1. wishful thinking?

wishful thinking? Active Member

Hey guys, long time listener first time caller-ish.
    I’ve spent years thinking about joining the RM and last year finally took the plunge into my local afco and started my application for the RM where I was then shown a new path on the UGAS scheme which I subsequently didn’t make the cut so here I am a year later and have just changed my application back to RM.

I have my re-interview over the phone 15th Aug and my CA has told me that if I do the pjft I can go on PRMC the following week or so and passing that I can make the 11th Sept RT.

Can not wait :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Geespt

Geespt Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    That's a lot to do in a short space of time, just make sure you're fit enough for the PRMC! how are your practice PRMC stats looking? If you don't mind me asking.

Good luck with everything though!

3. wishful thinking?

I’ve kept my phys up since I did my PRNC in May but I’m doing a mock tonight for gym scores.
    Did a run out last night and managed 3 miles in 22mins 30 but had the wrong split time.
    Only learned today that the timings and the incline had changed so that’s made things “easier”.

4. wishful thinking?

So I managed 40 sit-ups and 40 press-ups to the bleeps and only 9 pull ups to the bleeps.
    Still, I’ve a month left so I’m not panicking yet.

5. Henry20

Henry20 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    my advice to you would be to wait a bit longer for your PRMC, that's what I have done. its better to wait slighty longer for your first attempt and go down there with good scores in the bag rather than try and rush it and fail, because then you could be looking at another 3 months at least.

6. wishful thinking?

Well that was an eye opener, had my first attempt pjft and failed it like a real sop, warm up run no problem, but half way through the return I was gassed and those niggly thoughts came into my head and weren’t for leaving.
    I now know I’ve underestimated my training routine and I’ll focus a heck of a lot more on running than circuit work at least until I’ve got the pjft in the bag

7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

It may be no consolation but you're not the first to say that. It's definitely worth focusing on specific training for each selection hurdle as they present themselves. Keep everything else ticking over until you feel confident that you can smash the dreadmill.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Some people struggle with the treadmill but can crack it as an outdoor run.

If you are one of those individuals, ask your AFCO if you can attend an RMAD - the 3 mile BFT can be accepted in lieu of a PJFT pass if a PTI is in attendance.

Hopefully that makes sense despite the acronyms.

• Like Like x 2
  9. MumtoRM

MumtoRM Moderator

Out of curiosity, why didn't you make the cut for UGAS?

10. wishful thinking?

Thanks, good idea, I’ll have another crack at it before we try that one but I’ll keep it in mind.

They said I wasn’t confident enough in my answers and my answers lacked fluidity.

• Seen Seen x 1
  11. JayJ10255

JayJ10255 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    What was the treadmill setting on for the actual test ? Just passed medical so have the PJFT to come, re joining after medical discharge last year, practicing with incline no problems though

12. wishful thinking?

First run 12-something then the second was 14-something, no incline though

13. JayJ10255

JayJ10255 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Okay mate cheers I know the speeds and all that just wondered if it’s incline or not :) you’ll be fine second time round just practice *text deleted* loads

14. MumtoRM

MumtoRM Moderator

That's a shame as it's a good scheme!

15. wishful thinking?

It’s an amazing scheme, I’m glad I had the opportunity to try for it, I passed the PRNC in May so I could have gone the normal route as an MESM but the RM keeps calling me away from the Gucci money and comfy chairs

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  16. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

I’m sure your money and chairs will call to you again, whilst your freezing cold and soaking wet, with a house on your back with 20 clicks to go! :)

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

To be fair, as a former Marine Engineering mechanic myself, it's not all about comfy chairs. There are less savoury aspects to the job such as stripping sewerage plants and suchlike. Then again going to war with air conditioning, sprung matresses, feather pillows, chef prepared meals, hot & cold water etc., does make life more bearable :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Oh, and duty frees help too.

19. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Is it still three cans a day for the lower decks?

Alan

20. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Yes, three cans, per man, per day, per-haps.

Or two of the larger tinnies.

• Like Like x 3