About me

PITTGBIF

Reaction score
Sorry it’s a long one

About Me
In June I finished a one year Army Prep course at my college that I started in July 2016. It was on that course that I found out about the Royal Marines and decided it was what I wanted to do as a career.

I applied for the Royal Marines in November 2016. I have since past the Psycometric Test, the Interview and was made TMU at the Medical for acne in February. Since then I have been trying treatment for my acne from my GP, but I understand that it is something that will pass with time.

Unfortunately I picked up shin splints at around November-December time last year. I was told it was something that would heal with 2 or 3 weeks rest by my tutor. This obviously wasn’t true and I regrettably carried on pushing through the course. I had seen a Physiotherapist and Podiatrist on multiple occasions where I was told to stretch, foam roll, buy new running shoes and orthotics and ultimately to rest. I’ve bought both and rested for about a month but nothing was working and there was no change.

In August I finally decided to make an appointment to see the doctor (something I should have done from the start, learn from my mistake) who referred me to a private Orthopaedic Consultant. The consultant told me that the main thing I need to do is rest, but completely rest which meant no walking. Unlike what I had been doing which was just taking a few weeks off running. So apparently now I can’t walk for 3-6 months to allow my legs time to heal. Which is very annoying as I can’t walk to the gym or college or work so my mum has basically made me a house wife . The consultant also informed me that he had the same problem at my age and was put in a cast for 6 months, but as long as I rested appropriately there wouldn’t be any need for those measures.

During this time off running I have put together a RM knowledge/information folder, but my main focus is to get the body weight exercises nailed. I have posted my current weekly workout routine below so please tell me what I’m doing well/wrong and feel free to explain how I can improve it or post your own routine if you have found it successful.

I have also posted some random questions, if you can answer please state the number of the question you are replying to thankyou.

Questions

1.) Can you wear your own trainers in Recruit Training or do you get issued them?

2.) Can you use NON prescribed orthotics in Recruit Training?

3.) Does anybody know a good place to get them huge hold all bags/suitcases I’ve seen in documentaries and videos of recruits turning up at PRMC and RT? Because I don’t have anything big enough to hold everything on the kit list.

Current Workout Routine
(relevant workouts below)
3F86E2EA-7633-4724-9EAF-9564880982B0.jpeg

Current Stats
(to the bleep)
Press-ups: 25-30
Sit-ups: 80-85
Pull-ups: 8-10

Relevant Workouts
(where there are 2 workouts they are alternatives that I switch between I don’t do both In one session)

Press-ups
Workout 1 (100)
  • 2 sets of 20
  • 2 sets of 15
  • 2 sets of 10
  • 2 sets of 5
Workout 2 (100)
  • 3 sets of 15
  • 3 sets of 10
  • 3 sets of 5
  • 1 set of 10

Sit-ups

Workout 1 (300)
  • 3 sets of 40
  • 3 sets of 30
  • 3 sets of 20
  • 1 set of 30
Workout 2 (300)
  • 2 sets of 50
  • 2 sets of 40
  • 2 sets of 30
  • 3 sets of 20

Pull-ups
Workout 1 (36+)
  • 3 sets of 5
  • 3 sets of 4
  • 3 sets of 3
  • 3 sets of 5 (eccentric)
Workout 2 (36+)
  • 2 sets of 6
  • 2 sets of 5
  • 2 sets of 4
  • 2 sets of 3
  • 3 sets of 5 (eccentric)

Abs Workout
  • 10 rollouts
  • Hold legs 6inch off floor for 20 seconds
  • 20 flutter kicks
  • 20 ankle taps
  • 20 half sits
  • 20 med ball twists
  • Repeat 5 times

Lat Workout
(usually do 2-3 of these workouts)

Wide Arm Pull-ups
  • 2 sets of 4
  • 2 sets of 3
  • 2 sets of 2
  • 2 sets of 1
Lat Pushdowns
  • 2 sets of 10 on
  • 2 sets of 10 on
  • 2 sets of 10 on
Squat Rows
  • 1 set close
  • 1 set mid
  • 1 set wide
  • Repeat 3 times
Lat Pulldowns
  • 2 sets of 10 on 55kg
  • 2 sets of 10 on 50kg
  • 2 sets of 10 on 45kg
One Arm Rows (Both Arms)
  • 3 sets of 8 on 22kg
  • 3 sets of 8 on 20kg
  • 3 sets of 8 on 18kg

Triceps Workout

Dips
  • 1 set of 8
  • 1 set of 7
  • 1 set of 6
  • 1 set of 5
Rope Pull Downs
  • 5 sets of 10 on 17.5kg
Bar Pull downs
  • 5 sets of 10 on 17.5kg
One Arm Pull Downs
  • 5 sets of 10 on 5kg
One Arm Overhead Dumbbell Press
  • 1 set of 8 on 10kg
  • 1 set of 8 on 9kg
  • 1 set of 8 on 8kg

Legs Workout

Leg Press
  • 5 sets of 10 on 60kg (Wide Leg)
  • 5 sets of 20 on 60kg (Calves)
  • 5 sets of 10 on 100kg (Close Leg)
Leg Curls
  • 5 sets of 10 on 25kg
Leg Raises
  • 5 sets of 8 on 30kg

Biceps Workout

Bicep Curl Machine
  • 2 sets of 8 on 30kg
  • 2 sets of 8 on 25kg
  • 2 sets of 8 on 20kg
  • 2 sets of 8 on 15kg
  • 2 sets of 8 on 10kg
Hammer Curls
  • 1 set of 8 on 12kg
  • 1 set of 8 on 10kg
  • 1 set of 8 on 9kg
  • 1 set of 8 on 8kg
  • 1 set of 8 on 7kg
  • 1 set of 8 on 6kg
  • 1 set of 8 on 5kg
Bicep Pull up Curls (cables)
  • 2 sets of 8 on 15kg
  • 2 sets of 8 on 12.5kg
  • 2 sets of 8 on 10 kg

Swimming Workout

(1 mile)
  • 2 lengths breaststroke
  • 10 lengths front crawl
  • 10 lengths breaststroke
  • 10 lengths front crawl out/breaststroke back

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
In answer to your questions:

1.) Can you wear your own trainers in Recruit Training or do you get issued them?

You are issued with trainers for use in the gym. Take your own for use in the grots.

2.) Can you use NON prescribed orthotics in Recruit Training?

If you need orthotics, then you can be issued with them from the sickbay, but if you leave RT for any reason and then attempt to re-join, then you will not be allowed to do so.

3.) Does anybody know a good place to get them huge hold all bags/suitcases I’ve seen in documentaries and videos of recruits turning up at PRMC and RT? Because I don’t have anything big enough to hold everything on the kit list.

EBay?

Alan

Banshee

Reaction score
Jesus Christ 3-6 months of no walking?
I had shin splints and stress fractures. Still working full time in warehouse wearing heavy safety boots.
What fixed my shin splints was wearing vibram 5 fingers for 8 weeks and running with them. My muscles and tendons all got stronger due to no cushioning in the trainers

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Jesus Christ 3-6 months of no walking?
I had shin splints and stress fractures. Still working full time in warehouse wearing heavy safety boots.
What fixed my shin splints was wearing vibram 5 fingers for 8 weeks and running with them. My muscles and tendons all got stronger due to no cushioning in the trainers

I tried that but I ended up getting niggles. It's a very slow process and you have to be careful.
I wouldn't recommend it but you have to find what works for you.

Mr H

Reaction score
What have you got in your RM knowledge/information folder?

Latest posts

New Threads