Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

About the references I need to provide

Discussion in 'Overseas Section' started by Nathanael Lucchi, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Nathanael Lucchi

Nathanael Lucchi New Member

Hello mates,

I'm looking forward to join the Royal Marines, after sending my online enquiry and having spoken with a career adviser, I recently received an introduction letter via post containing informations about the requested documents I need to send prior to applying. This is the first time I'm asked about references and I don't exactly know what they're expecting from me. I never had a job so I'm considering my school circle; should I simply send them contact informations (name, phone number, etc) of two teachers, for instance, or are they expecting a real reference letter on my behalf, written and signed by a respectable person? In that case, could I ask it from two members of the same school?

I know this is some basic stuff, but I'm rather new to these procedures so I'd greatly appreciate if you could help me out with it ! :)

2. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Welcome to the site,

I don't know the answer to it but sure others will and post shortly. You are right to check if you are uncertain. "Do it right, do it once" is something you'll probably here a lot in the RM's.

All the best
    GW

• Like Like x 1
  3. SeanLeClair

SeanLeClair New Member

you got it Nate, school teachers will work for the two personal references as long as you've known them for the 2 years or more. For the other you need someone that holds a position of authority or standing in the community. You can use your principal for this one or your pediatrician. If you were in cadets you can also use your CO

4. OSTV

OSTV Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I thought for the teachers they had to have taught you within the past 12 months for the references to be valid?

Rhys

5. Nathanael Lucchi

Nathanael Lucchi New Member

Thanks for the help everyone!!
    I called the RM Overseas Recruiting Section and they confirmed that a reference, or a reference letter, would be fine from two teachers as long as they've known me for at least one year. They didn't specify if they had to have taught me within the past 12 months for the reference to be valid, but I personally don't think that's really necessary.

Nathanael

6. Screwby

Screwby New Member

I've never heard of the 12 month but I'm sure teachers are fine.

7. OSTV

OSTV Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Fair play, must of read it somewhere else :P

Rhys

8. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Active Member

Would it be better to have these as reference letters written by the two people, or can you simply provide their details?

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The AFCO will write to your nominated referees, all you need are their names & addresses.

10. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Active Member

Thanks bud. Any insight on the question I posted in the non-liability of national service thread?

11. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Active Member

Also, would email addresses be enough? Or do they require physical postal addresses?