Access to Woodbury Common

D

DevonCadet

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the assault course on Woodbury Common is open for public access, I live pretty close and it would be ideal to get a few laps in of the place?

Cheers,
DC

bennyd89

Reaction score
You have to be trained how to tackle an assault course and have someone first aid trained supervising so no mate.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Woodbury

Yes mate ignore above, it is always open.

I live really close too. where are you from?

It isn't owned by the MOD and it isn't much of an assault course, thats at Lypstone. There are a lot of tunnels, a lot of hills and a lot of mud. There are a few metal frames which you could climb on, but they un-clip all ropes, climbing nets, wooden walking beams, etc when they leave.
Are you doing the 7 mile commando challenge this year? I'd sign up quick if not *text deleted* its 75% full already and a really good laugh. Its for charity and you get a great Sh1tty little medal with the Laurel and wreath on it.

D

DevonCadet

Benny do you know that for a fact or are you assuming? There are many things that you have to be supervised to do when as an event but not alone. I.E Climbing must be supervised however I don't think all those fellas climbing all over the place have a first aider on hand and health and safety officer.

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Woodbury Common is a (privately owned) public area and is open all year. I remember on a few exercises we had civvies walking their dogs straight through our harbour position!

The actual assault course is on the bottom field at CTCRM and is not open to public.

The endurance course is on open land and is not far from CTCRM. If you want to run it before joining your best bet is to sign up for the commando challenge as Matt B mentioned.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
yeah as said the assault course is in CTCRM but the endurance course can be ran by anyone at any time. it is advised you have people with you because you can drown and accidents can happen becauses its not at all flat ground and you can easily break an ankle or even drown.

plus the major problem you will find is that you dont know the way around it unless you training to be a commando or you are a commando. its difficult to navigate, i have been down there a fair few times with cadets and i only just about know my way, there are loads of paths leading off from paths and everything.

D

DevonCadet

Thanks Campbell. I have already done the CC once but for obvious reasons the more practice on the endurance course the better. Plus it is great fun.