Accommodation and where you live

dvd

Reaction score
Hiya guys,

I have been searching for this for a while, and cannot seem to find it anywhere.

I just wanted to know, what happens with where you live once you get to a unit, I presume for the 2 years you're a GD marine you live in baracks on base, but what are the rules on living off base/other accommodation?

Its a very long way off for me but has been nagging in the back of my mind for a while.

Thanks, Murray

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Once you've passed out, you are not restricted where you live. If its a fair distance or 'up the line' then you'll only be going home weekends, but if you're like myself and live within commuting distance, you'll go home every evening.

Ryan11

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Few lads I know at 45 live in town and commute every day

dvd

Reaction score
Once you've passed out, you are not restricted where you live. If its a fair distance or 'up the line' then you'll only be going home weekends, but if you're like myself and live within commuting distance, you'll go home every evening.

Ah thanks!

However, would you say right after you've passed out it would be more beneficial to live on base just so you get to know your knew colleagues, or does it not make a huge difference as you are with them during the day?

Last edited:

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
The term for those who choose to live off base used to be Outliers, (Obviously Inliers being the term for those staying in barracks.) The benefits are that you are away from all things Pusser, you can live with, either a group of guys, or girls, (if you're a stacks rating), and you're not living 24/7 with the same people.

The disadvantages are that you have to do your own washing up and all the domestic chores, including cooking!

The only requirement is that you turn to, on time and in the correct rig, for whatever your duty is. No doubt that there other pros and cons and I'm sure that the serving guys will tell you what they are.

Alan

Reactions: dvd

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Murray, doesn't make a massive difference to be honest. If you're local you'll tend to go to most of the run ashores etc anyway. It really depends on each bloke as to whether they want to or not.

dvd

Reaction score
Okay, that's been a real help. Thanks!