Accommodation at a unit

a_wezzerz

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wondering does everyone get their own rooms once in a unit, I know that 43 and clr does but I’m just wondering about 40,42,45? Cheers.

ERFC

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
45 you’ll have 4 man grotts then two single man cabins for the L/Cpl and Cpl. All the above will be sharing a kitchen, heads and tv room.

I definately prefer the shared grotts as it’s a good crack.I found the single man cabins at 43 meant lads naturally tucked themselves away and as a socialite I hated it!:cool:

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wondering does everyone get their own rooms once in a unit, I know that 43 and clr does but I’m just wondering about 40,42,45? Cheers.

Certain units like 43 have their own grots.
45 has shared grots, with some accommodation being single manned. They were given the option and had a say on whether the shared grots were renovated or get single man grots.

A lot of senior lads and the majority wanted to keep shared accommodation for various reasons, but one main one being so everyone could keep tabs on each other with regards to signs and symptoms of PTSD or welfare.

Single man accommodation usually have their own set rules for everyone for example doors open until 2000, or such.

There’s a big push for cohesion and a community outlook, with some grots even introducing no phones in the TV room rules, or similar.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
There's a similar issue on Naval base accommodation and serving afloat. It's been found that single living accommodation is very often viewed as potentially detrimental to the wellbeing of the individual and the continuation of a cohesive team spirit.

Often people retreat into their digital bubble & the Army have tragically reported cases of undetected suicide possibly due to the isolation aspect.

Polo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Do those on ROP have similar accommodation to those in foundation?

DutyWretch

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
As mentioned, at fighting units you’ll be in a 6 man ‘flat’ they’re decent.

When I passed out 2006 I got drafted to FPG (43) and ended up in w.anklyn block.

The name was pretty much spot on. Absolute dumps, Bootnecks were the last to get single living accom, and these blocks were pretty close to being condemned.

Ceiling panels all rusty and hanging out, boarded up windows, ripped stained carpets and plug sockets hanging out of the walls.

My first thought wasn’t; I’ve made it!

It was; what have I done!?!

Actually had my ‘joining drinks’ in the block, and despite the mess the next day, nobody even really noticed the difference. Horrendous.

Eeeeeeh in my day...

New Threads