achillies pain when running

Chover

Reaction score
Hello All,
After getting new trainers I have found that after running about 2 miles I begin to get a pain in my achillies area- its not overly painful, rather its tight but you can definitely feel the issue, it also sometimes continues around to the front of my lower leg where it is tight as well. Could it be the need to stretch off more after a few miles into my run, or an issue with the trainers I am using?
I had a similar issue with my other trainers when I began road running more but after about a month of running and stretching the issue subsided.
I can still comfortably run at about 7.15 pace with this issue id just rather it not be there.
Thank you for any response.

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hello All,
After getting new trainers I have found that after running about 2 miles I begin to get a pain in my achillies area- its not overly painful, rather its tight but you can definitely feel the issue, it also sometimes continues around to the front of my lower leg where it is tight as well. Could it be the need to stretch off more after a few miles into my run, or an issue with the trainers I am using?
I had a similar issue with my other trainers when I began road running more but after about a month of running and stretching the issue subsided.
I can still comfortably run at about 7.15 pace with this issue id just rather it not be there.
Thank you for any response.
Usually 2+2 makes 4 mate so the obvious thing is, it is you’re trainers. Have you had gait analysis done ? What trainers did you use before and what ones have you moved onto ? This could be linked to simply upping you’re mileage/pacing or different terrain etc but certainly seems a footwear issue unless all of a sudden you have started doing mad amounts of miles. Wish I knew about running trainers when I started out some of the things I done when I was younger was absolute madness.

Chover

Reaction score
Usually 2+2 makes 4 mate so the obvious thing is, it is you’re trainers. Have you had gait analysis done ? What trainers did you use before and what ones have you moved onto ? This could be linked to simply upping you’re mileage/pacing or different terrain etc but certainly seems a footwear issue unless all of a sudden you have started doing mad amounts of miles. Wish I knew about running trainers when I started out some of the things I done when I was younger was absolute madness.
Previously had some Salomon Speedcrosses and then moved onto adidas Bostons, thought it could be a pain which subsided like with my previous trainers but I agree with you that it is probably the trainers I am using, haven't had the opportunity of gait analysis due to the pandemic closing all the shops near me so am going to have to get it looked at when they reopen.

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty sure the Boston’s are a overpronation trainer mate and the cross speeds neutral I’d check that out and it will give you a good guideline of what type of shoes you need. Yeah this pandemic is a nightmare mate just keep probing with mileage and pacing but don’t over do it and get yourself a silly injury you really don’t need at this stage.