achnacarry commando course.

ryanb132

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Where there actually "commando tests" - I've heard there wasn't. was it just a case of passing the course got you a green beret?
cheers.

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Where there actually "commando tests" - I've heard there wasn't. was it just a case of passing the course got you a green beret?
cheers.
I think that since the course was only a few weeks long, it was seen as one big commando test. Civilians weren't trained there and so it can be compared in some ways to completing the All Arms Commando Course.

Someone please correct if I'm talking rubbish!

ryanb132

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I see they do a 30 mile march in the schedule, so I'm guessing that they did the 'Commando tests' as we know them but during the course. not in a "test week"? So the modern course just picked the main physical tests out and set them as the standard physical tests that must be achieved?

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
The actual tests at Achnacarry appear to be of a similar nature, though not exactly the same. The first parts of the documents are about Achnacarry in 1944.

The Commando tests mentioned in the last part of the document are for 1987.

I particularly like the bit about no time limit for the rope climb, because if they haven't done it within a few minutes, they fall off.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
I believe that the first test was a speed march from the train station to the castle on arrival. If you dropped out, or didn't keep up, you were RTU.

Alan