Acne and the Marines

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Weird question boys, just thought I'd put this out there. I don't have really bad acne, cause Im on accutane at the moment. However when Im done the course of it, it slowly creeps back within 2 months !. Still nothing major, few spots on the face and back, nothing full blown, but I hear they are real picky about it. I won't be able to take the medication when Im in the Marines, so what happens if I start to break out on course. Do they discharge you ??.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Problem

I shouldn't think this would be a problem. However, you may have to work at your clean shaving without cutting yourself to pieces.

Ninja, can you answer this mate?

Cheers

Steve

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yea I hear ya Preece *text deleted*. Also hoping the cam paint doesn't intensify any acne breakouts or anything, as some people in the Canadian Forces I know, it was a problem with them. Go figure, both of my brothers are in the Canadian Forces and have no skin problems, just me :P. Waiting to hear from Ninja, but I have a feeling he's *text deleted* say he's not a medical officer ;-) hehe.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hah, wrong :*text deleted*:

1. Our MO says accutane is possibly OK if it's only prescribed for acne. (Not a clue what else it's prescribed for).

2. I'm aware of people being discharged for an allergic reaction to cam-cream, but in my experience only from the British Army.

3. You can buy your own, hypo allergenic cam cream. This is a far safer bet than waiting until you have a reaction to normal stuff, being discharged & then waiting for two years without re-occurence before you may be considered able to re-apply. A small price to pay, most would agree. (Unless you're extremely ugly & need make-up normally, then it gets expensive. Erm, apparently...)

4. And, the bit you've been waiting for: "Your MO will advise accordingly".

5. There, happy?

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ninja did his homework, wow haha, good work mate !!. Great information. My doctor just gave me another prescription today for another 3 - 4 months of it. I should ask for a whole years worth when I go over *text deleted*.

Awesome for the cam cream. Im going camping this weekend with my brothers, so I might buy some and experiment.

Cheers mates, and crack on !.

Hope this info helps others as well :D

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I went for my medical on the 15th of august 07 and am waiting for my next medical it really has put a bit of extra time on, and just for a few spots on my back and chest :evil:, i find it hard to train when there is not a date for me to train to if that makes sense.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
damn that sucks ed, thats my fear. Few little spots eh ?. Hmm, thats no good *text deleted*.

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yea just a few but i think it cause they were red so looked worse, but when i rang them up other week to book another medical, my AFCO adviser that i deal with said, i did not think you had spots. :shock:, but hey she's the boss, i think thats all it was cause she said a few and some was pretty red.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thats a pain in the arse. Hope Im clear during that day *text deleted*. Hope the next check up is better mate !.

M

Macca_7

i reckon having certain kinds of acne would make it extremely difficult to cope with the training etc... i had quite severe cystic acne all over my face (painful lumps filled with pus) so i did'nt try to join because i knew i would'nt be able to cope in the state i was in. believe me you need a lot of strength of character to face up to things and just cope with normal day to day life when you have that every day for 12 years! it was always on my mind and i was really depressed *text deleted* of it so its not exactly the right kinda state of mind in which to join.

it annoys me really *text deleted* i got myself really fit and i was very determined but that held me back! i was worried about being out in the field for long periods making my face irritated so i would'nt be able to function or concentrate. i was also worried about the cam cream irritating it. i had accutane twice which has got rid of most of it but theres still some there so i'm going to get laser treatment to hopefully zap it all for good! i still want to join once my face is back to how it should be but realistically i doubt they would take me with my medical history, depression etc... shame really *text deleted* apart from that i could have potentially been very well suited to the forces.

if you are talking about just a few spots then yeah its prob not too big a deal but full blown like i have had it and i think you'd be struggling. obviously you have to be in a positive confident frame of mind to join in the first place and deal with all the training etc... if you already have all these other things weighing you down it makes it hard to cope with other things so you are immediately at a disadvantage. its hard enough for lads without any problems like that. i would'nt have been able to shave at all with my face the way it was, its a nightmare, still struggle now!

.just out of interest, if someone had very severe acne would they still be accepted? is there any level at which it would be deemed to severe for the person to perform and be able to function? surely it would make things extremely hard for an individual with full blown cystic acne... is there any set criteria where people are not accepted *text deleted* of it, like say if it impairs the persons ability to function? or is there like an unwritten rule where you are picky about taking people with it but due to discrimination cannot have any set rules? i know in the spanish army young men with a certain level of cystic acne are exempt from national service *text deleted* they are unable to function and wear gas masks, things like that. just interested in this really *text deleted* i been battling with it for many years now and its held me back from joining.

M

Macca_7

accutane can be prescribed for lots of other things like autoimmune diseases. its a very nasty drug to be on too and it would make life very difficult in training i can assure you., your skin and lips are constantly cracked and dry so you have to continuously keep applying Vaseline. it gets extremely demoralizing and i am pretty sure it would impair a persons ability to perform to their maximum potential. there are lots of other quite nasty side affects which i won't go into. its just a horrible condition to suffer with in the first place! i'd have probably been in the marines now if i did'nt suffer with it.

M

Macca_7

When I first started the application process, my face was like yours is/was.

Suppose its just different peoples mind sets about it, becuase I could take banter about it all day long and laugh it off becuase I gave it back just as good.

Don't let the banter get you down and just crack on with your goal. I know it seems all doom and gloom but it will clear up eventually, mine did. And when it does clear up, your confidence will be sky high

EDIT: I still get the odd episode on my back of huge ones, but the girlfriend loves it so it doesn't phase me
its not the banter that gets me down, i can take that and have a laugh about it, giving as good as i get etc... i'm used to it now after 12 years. its just really irritating and often results in open wounds which would be prone to infection. thats what concerns me *text deleted* i don't feel like i could cope with it while my face is like that, being out in the field, muddy contaminated water getting in it etc...also certain climates would make it impossible for me to operate, jungle etc... cuts and wounds in that climate make it impossible to operate as they get infected and can be potentially dangerous.

you are right though, people are all different and have different mind sets towards it, some can deal with it better than others. if i'm honest it has affected me really badly, totally changed my personality and taken my confidence away. i used to be confident, cheerful, very outgoing but i'm a miserable sod now. also i got ocd and depression *text deleted* of it which is on my med history. i know that could be a problem too *text deleted* you have to be free of these things for 3 years before they even consider you. my main goal is to sort it out completely so i feel better and it is not irritating my face anymore hopefully then i'll be free of it, in a more positive frame of mind so i can just crack on. .

aethefox

Reaction score
dont worry bout acne the med centre have the ultimate acne treatment cream, its awesome stuff.

Hilts

Reaction score
I passed my medical with no real problems and I've got acne on my back and shoulders the medical examiner just told me to carry on taking antibiotics.

edu1010

Reaction score
On the subject of acne, I used to get it really bad on my back and where i shaved, tried all crazy things to get rid of it but all i ever did was make it worse. Then i discovered sudocrem, my backni was gone within a week and although i get the occasional spot on my face everything has pretty much cleared up.

Its pretty cheap like ?3, it is meant for nappy rash sound weird i know but it does the job.

WelshLad91

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Sunbeds are good for spots man it drys them up so try that i had a couple of my back and went on the sunbed and they dryed up

Zucifer

Reaction score
I failed my first medical on the basis of acne. I went on antibiotics to sort them out, barely made any difference however since the sun has recently begun to shine again my spots have completely gone and i passed my second medical. During the darker months i plan to just hit the sunbeds!

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Why exactly is acne a possible TMU? I have a few spots on my face and back. Nothing major, sometimes they get a bit red, sometimes you won't even see them without knowing they're there. But whatever they look like, my fitness doesn't decrease, I can still carry stuff on my back, they're not contagious. I do use some lotion from the doctor on my face (but not my back cause I'm not a contortionist), but I've spent 3 months abroad without it and had no problems. A few more spot break-outs, but as far as I can see, no reason to fail a marines medical. Unless "not looking particularly attractive" is a reason to fail :worried:

Hilts

Reaction score
It's only severe acne you've got to worry about and hope you've got a lenient examiner.