Acronyms, gibberish and jargon.

DeathBySexy

Reaction score
I recently subscribed to Globe and Laurel magazine to catch up on news of what's going on in the corps, out of interest and because I thought it would be good for when/if I get to the interview. It's all very interesting so far but I am having one small issue, I have no clue what 90% of the acronyms mean. SOPs, 2 Tp, FSB, MIOPS, LSE17, etc. I feel like I've some how contracted a bad case of dyslexia. A lot of them are written in full and then the acronym is used thereafter and some are simple enough to get after reading enough military material, as for the rest though I'm left scratching my head.

Is there any reading material or websites on Naval/RM abbreviations and acronyms?

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I can answer two of them..

SOPs - Standard Operating Procedures
2 Tp - 2 Troop (Similary, L Coy - Lima Compamy for example)
The other three I don’t know and cant work out at the moment

You’ll pick things up as you go along, but reading military books will help you out, and to recommend one to you “Wearing the Green Beret” by Jake Olafsen is a very good read.

Have a look at this also:
http://www.aboutlanguageschools.com/slang/royal-marines-slang.asp

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
LSE17 = Large Scale Exercise 2017. Its the name of an exercise and the year it was conducted.

MIOPs = Maritime Interdiction Operations.

FSB = could be Final Selection Board for potential officers but would depend on the context.

Keep firing away with any you're unsure of and I'll answer as best as possible.

DeathBySexy

Reaction score
Excellent, thank you both. If I keep firing away with any I'm unsure about though you may end up compiling a dictionary.
I'll be sure to update if I really struggle though.

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
Excellent, thank you both. If I keep firing away with any I'm unsure about though you may end up compiling a dictionary.
I'll be sure to update if I really struggle though.
There is a list of military acronyms about somewhere, it's mahoosive. Can't remember where I saw it but if I come across it again, I'll post the link.

It's probably googleable but I can't arsed to find out.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I know that it's an old one but TLA is my favourite Three Letter Acronym.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I know that it's an old one but TLA is my favourite Three Letter Acronym.
Usually prefixed by the words too and many.

The Armed Forces are terrible for TLAs & I frequently find myself listening and cringing as young service people loaned to AFCOs (FLA!) talk to enquirers in incomprehensible acronyms.

Many of us need to "civilianise" our vocabularies when talking to people who are unaware of our shorthand terminology. From an enquirers perspective - don't be afraid to ask what the hell they are babbling on about! :)

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
There's a Foreman in work with me who's currently an officer cadet(Reserve Royal Welsh) and whenever we meet he waffles on in acronyms and abbreviations. I think he feels it makes him look gucci. I don't have the slightest clue what he's on about!!

Rover

Reaction score
There's a Foreman in work with me who's currently an officer cadet(Reserve Royal Welsh) and whenever we meet he waffles on in acronyms and abbreviations. I think he feels it makes him look gucci. I don't have the slightest clue what he's on about!!

BZ;)

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
If it's any consolation a lot of former RMs no longer bother with the G & L, (The Corps' magazine, Globe and Laurel), as they also no longer understand the acronyms on there.

One guy has actually contacted them and told them of the problem and they have replied and plan to publish a glossary of terms.

When? NFI! :D

Alan

Rover

Reaction score

You could always mention that you have a QBE, Military Division.:cool:
:confused:;)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
One guy, an Artificer, on one of my ships used to write NFW on the machinery stateboard to indicate which machinery was Not Effing Working.

His real name was Harry Roddis. He became better known as HFR.