Additional Kit for YO Training

ChrisCN

Reaction score
Good Afternoon Sir,

I am one of the lucky people to have been selected to start YO training on 1st September 2008 and just wondered if there was any supplementary kit/belongings that would make life at Lympstone that little bit easier.

The general kit list in the joining instructions tended to concern itself with mainly clothing and alike. Is everything you need for exercises etc issued, or are there certain items, like head torches, leathermans etc which would come in handy?

Also, are boots issued in advance to break in, or do you get given them on day 1 of training?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Chris

Reaction score
Good Effort mate and best of luck with training.
You don't need much extra kit as you will only be allowed to use issue kit until you pass the Commando Course. My advice is to take everything on the kit list and you will work out the extras you need in due course. You will be issued with boots and be given time to break them in.
Buy a decent iron and a big ironing board though, they will serve you well in your time at CTC! I bought the cheapest iron I could find and it wasn't worth the saving.
Don't worry about getting all the extras for the mess either. I can't guarantee that they won't check but in reality all you need is a suit and 3 long sleeve smart shirts with a few ties. Don't worry about buying a blazer if you don't already have one.
Take some flip flops, shorts and cheap t-shirts to do your evening admin in. You want to be comfortable when you are working in the evening and cleaning stuff into the early hours.
See as much of your mates as possible, stay fit but more importantly injury free.
Let us know if you have anymore questions,
RMRO

GreyFox42

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
Kit

Thank you for that Sir

Chris - look forward to seeing you at Lympstone. Best advice I can give is to have a look at www.rvops.co.uk. Like RMRO made clear, uber-gucci kit won't be possible but anything that could possibly make your life easier wil be on the site. My personal favourite is a little plastic lid they make for the metal mug so your water boils quicker making brews and admin that much faster. It's all of about £2 I think. Have a look anyway.

Liam91

Reaction score
hi guys, sorry to hijack the thread but what do you think set you apart from the rest during your POC and AIB? I mean what leadership experience have u had and the like. thanks

Reaction score
There is a lot of stuff on here about experience so have a look at some other posts first.
Remember you are competing against a set standard, not against other people, if you meet the grade and are good enough, you'll get into training.

MUMBLES88

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
Good thread, had been wondering about personal gear etc. Any idea when we will be given boots to brake in?

Reaction score
You will get two pairs of boots on day three I think, certainly within the first week and you will get time to break them in as you move around camp etc. It's not a bad idea to already have some broken in military issue boots though. Make sure you break in both pairs of boots, I used one pair for all the exercises and phys and by the Commando Course they were like slippers with holes in them and I had to replace them.

S

Sotiris

I was wondering that. So we're allowed to take our own pair of boots to YO training as long as they comply with current military issue?

If that's the case, what is the current RM boot?

Reaction score
I don't see why you can't take a pair of broken in boots provided that they are the same as the issued ones. They have to be exactly the same though!
The current RM boot is the same as the standard British Army boot. It is a very plain and very average leather boot. It is by no means a good bit of kit!

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
pussers boots :D (sorry about the hi-jack)

good luck guys!! make us proud!

noveldex

Reaction score
I was waiting for that to come in after the mention of 'Army'! Flip flops are an excellent idea in my opinion too and would be on my kit list in the first instance!

Sir, would you recommend a pair from a surplus store, as long as they are in very good condition? Some lads might leave it to the last minute perhaps and need access to a boot straight away and in one respect they would be broken in, but then they would not be shaped to your foot.

S

Sotiris

Sir,

Are there exceptions on bootware if I have in-soles? The RM Captain at my AFCO briefly mentioned that he was issued with a really good pair of boots because he also had orthotics.

Reaction score
I would personally go with some new boots and then gradually mould them to your feet. It won't take that long. Polish them every night and then leave the polish on before buffing them in the morning, this will soften them up and speed up the process.

If you have insoles then you can wear them with the issue boots and if you have further problems then you can be issued with 'Lowas' to wear instead. However, you will stick out from the others and it can be viewed as a potential sign of weakness by your batchmates.