Adivice please?

Aron19920

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Right done a PFT in College today during Physical Prep. (Taking Pre-Uniformed services which is helpful)

Anyway i got the following on my upper-body tests

Push ups - 37 in 2 minutes
Sit ups - 44 in 2 minutes

Anyone got any tips for gaining at least 10 press ups and by the looks of the standard alot of sit ups *text deleted* :P

Thanks, Aron

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Situps are nice and easy to get better at fast. Just focus on crunches, and sit ups! You'll improve rapid, plus abs don't seem to burn or ache for me like other muscle groups do fter a workout, so you can do several sessions a day. A good one is sit on your bum, hands behind you on the floor, legs 2 inches max off the floor, and straighten and bend your legs 20 times central, then rock slightly to one side, 20, middle 20 other side 20 middle 20 etc.

Real burner. Plus the plank (Press up position but on your elbows) just hold it for a minute. Pause 15 secs. Another minute. Leg raises (Lying in your back, feet 2inches off ground held straight, hands under bum, raise legs up to 45 degrees, down [to 2 inches off, NEVER TOUCH THE GROUND], then up to 90 degrees, then down, then up to 45, then 90 then 45 then 90, then HOLD at 2 inches off for 10 seconds...)

General abs workouts. My mates got a brilliant abs workout, 30 minutes of constant pain.

Luke995

Reaction score
well i would start doing 4-5 sets of 10-15 wide grip press ups

then after them i would do 4-5 sets of crucnhies aim for around 20

then diamond shape press ups 3 sets of them aim for like 10.

then some normal sit ups how i got my perfect abs (last year) i started doing like 60 sit ups straight off then stopped for a rest then another 40 so = 100 for a few weeks.

and finally Marine press up's try your best. i would do that 3 days a week and on the sunday try for your max reps..

Luke.

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I dunno about that man, between 10 - 15 you're going to build muscle bulk, not endurance. But I'm not saying it won't work for you. I usually try and do a minimum of 15+ reps on anything.

Luke995

Reaction score
no you wont not if you do press ups, it depends how many you can do

you only get bulk off heavy weights which is basically pointless training for the marines (my personal view of heavy weights). as you need strength and muscular endurance

jasejase

Reaction score
1-4 reps of a heavy weight is *text deleted* give you raw strength without increasing bulk, 5-12 of moderate weight is *text deleted* increase your size which ya dont want, and anything with higher reps with a low weight is *text deleted* increase strength endurance.

although it does depend on your max reps that ya can peform.

caf20012

Reaction score
When i first started press ups all i did was 3 sets of 20 per night, every night then on Monday again go up to 25 then do that for the week.

Im at 50 now and might go for 100.

Just have to stay focused and PUSH!! Elbows in ^^

Good luck