Advantages / disadvantages as a Royal Marine

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jan 14, 2009.

1. ukkpa

ukkpa Active Member

My brother spent ?4000.

including the new car :P

2. Dreckly

Dreckly New Member

Cheers I probably have just enough then!:bud:

3. Dreckly

Dreckly New Member

cheers I probably have just enough to get by then!:bud:

4. killervanilla

killervanilla New Member

Is there any regulation on Marines or Officers personal transport?

5. Matt4017

Matt4017 Active Member

They're only allowed to use hovercraft and vikings for offical business, not to go to the pub in....

• Like Like x 1
  6. Adamos

Adamos Active Member

Also not to go see their girlfriend...eh Prince

7. Wil565

Wil565 New Member

Just out of interest...

the 'Automatic training for civilian driving licence (up to HGV standard) after completing Recruit Training.' what exactly is this? also is the cost of this the same as on civvie street? I am currently learning to drive and its costing me an arm and a leg and then some!

thanks...

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

As stated, upon successful completion of Recruit Training, the Corps will pay for you to undergo driver training from scratch if needs be, up to heavy goods.

There is no cost to the individual other than paying for your licence itself.

9. scumbum

scumbum New Member

cracking post ninja :applaus:, looks like its a great life, well looked after and your family.

10. casperpbsuk

casperpbsuk New Member

I'm curious how much is deducted from the salary for the accomadation?! Or is ?220 a week after all deductions including accomadation, i ask because i have to pay out ?200 a month as it is! I'm hoping this wont affect me getting in due to money issues! If it does then i shall have to see what i can do to get rid of it as soon as possible!

11. Marctb

Marctb New Member

Am i right in saying it is 6 weeks paid leave per annum? But then does that not mean that having any form of life at home, wont work, eg; Owning a house, owning a car or having a family?

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Kentish

Kentish Active Member

I believe it is 6 weeks, however i'm not sure. In theory this could be taken just like any civvie job, as a break from work, e.g holiday, or cooling down time after being deployed etc

13. Marctb

Marctb New Member

Yeah, but those 6 weeks may be at home, but the 42 weeks could be anywhere. So is there any point is buying a car and a house, and getting married?

14. C-nut

C-nut New Member

well you wont be in the marines for ever and i suppose it would be nice to have something to come back to when you're done.
    plus you can rent the house out and boost your retirement funds. up to you.

15. AdmiralAwesome

AdmiralAwesome Active Member

I think you've got the wrong idea...

When you're not on operations, or training, you get most weekends off, knock off and go home at 5pm in the evening during the week...

16. jm745

jm745 Loafing Member

And on weekends when not otherwise engaged you can actually go home,
    and in the evenings,
    so I think if you're in for a few years and aren't married/have a house/have a car,
    you might be very bored on base.

17. ste preece

ste preece Royal Marines Commando

When you're not on Tour or on Guard Duty, its pretty much like any other 9 till 5 job as far as life style is concerned. If you live in town you go home, whether your married or not, or you may choose to live in the Barracks. I did a bit of both during my career. And both suited me fine.

Cheers

Steve

18. Jakob Richardson

Jakob Richardson New Member

what are the Advantages and disadvantages of being an officer rather than a private?

19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Advantages: Responsibility, Accountability, Pay, pension & privileges commensurate with the rank held.

Disadvantages: Responsibility, Accountability and the potential for the removal/loss/stoppage of pay, pension & privileges commensurate with the rank held if you mess-up.

20. JamieC

JamieC New Member

So you're either out on operations or training. And while you're not doing either of them it's a 9-5 job every week, every year?

I know this sounds like a stupid question that I should really know the answer to, but I just want to be sure.