Advantages / disadvantages as a Royal Marine

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Rossi

Rossi Royal Marines Commando

Iam married with a daughter, there is a forces lifestyle, which the main reason alot of lads join for the marine way of life.

2. swsa

swsa New Member

Nice post Ninja!!

Thanks very much!!

3. Dougfunnie

Dougfunnie New Member

Answered! :)

All day, i've been writing pro's & con's on a notepad and finally i've found a pretty decent list :) Thanks alot! Much appreciated!

4. josh1600

josh1600 New Member

Great thread,

I Think that it would be a brilliant life experiance

5. Davies96

Davies96 Member

The HGV licence is a Heavy Good Vechile EG: Lorries, Dustbin trucks, Tractors and along the region of this I'm pretty sure you can tell a HGV from a normal vechile due to the size :).

6. Davies96

Davies96 Member

Ah, I'm sorry I miss read your question.

7. MrRevolutionary

MrRevolutionary New Member

This list was a real help for me, I knew the advantages out-weighed the disadvantages without hesitation.. hence my eagerness to join and get the ball rolling.

It is interesting to know that I can continue with A-Levels after training if I wanted to, as I know I would have the discipline to complete them by then.

8. Jazza1991

Jazza1991 New Member

great post

9. DeanRobbins

DeanRobbins New Member

Great post ninja.

I am forever getting home sickness. such as when i was 13 I was down at Driffield Army Cadet Camp. Where i actually suffered it badly and i don't know why. That's probably my biggest fear.

Even though theres more positives, There's always those two words Injury and Death. Although that is part of the job. I think it still scares allot of people unless there Drunk.

I've been talking to many people about the forces, and they've said, Once the adrenalin kicks in. Your fear fades and you just go for it.

But i was thinking. If you wasn't able to control your adrenalin. It would put you in more of a risky situation due to not caring about anything.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Everyone is different in such intense life-changing moments experienced in live action. No-one really knows how they will react first time, but most guys who join the services want to find out.

For me, below decks & unsee-ing on a warship, the lead up was really scary, but once you get going the training kicks-in and immediately during & after I felt a buzz, the likes of which are unique to combat. In the aftermath, maybe years later, some may suffer battle stress & that in itself is a potemtial timebomb. For the majority, they are OK.

11. Brisk

Brisk New Member

i know what you mean about not being able to control your adrenaline. Was in a horrible situation a few years ago and my adrenaline definately kept me going through it and ever since then if i think theres even a slight possibility of getting into just an argument with someone it starts going wild. Just hope that if i get through RT it learns to calm down because by then my body will have taught itself how to react properly to something. Well thats the plan anyway haha

12. Rossi

Rossi Royal Marines Commando

Before everyone jumps down my throat hear me out. Things always appear very different looking in on them rather than looking out. That remark in no way is me attempting to belittle Ninja and others trying to go perspective which is admirable. :applaus:

There are aspects of military life that are completely out of your control and you will have to roll with the punches. If the corp interests you enough to want to join, apply and give RT a good crack. My thoughts of training were completely different to the reality of it, just because I had not experience other that what trained ranks, recruits and books had told me.

If you don't like it enough to go through all the physical and emotional highs and lows then there is no shame in saying its not for you, the corp gives you a good chunk of phase 2 training to make your mind up before you are committed to minimum service, its not for everyone. I have made some great mates and its given me a different perspective in someways. Do I think I'll be in the corp for a full career, probably not but I will be taking hold of every course and qualification opportunity I can along the way.

13. MassiveMonkey

MassiveMonkey New Member

Hi there,

I'm a possible royal marine recruit and would like to know if I would be able to participate in Assosiation (American Football) through the army and also to what extent swimming will be towards selection and basic training, as I battle to swim well.

Thanks

14. iceman78090

iceman78090 New Member

does anybody know how it works if you are married and getting a house etc, what do the corp offer you.

does this only apply is you are married oppose to long term relationship etc..

and no matter what even if am officer do you have to stay on base throughout the week, even if you have your wife living next to the accommodation?

cheers.

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Entitlements for house-buying, such as service loans, are outlined below.

During training, you live on the base during the week. Even Officers.

After training, if living in accommosdation within commuting distance of the base, most people go home of an evening, when not on duty, on exercise or deployed. Even Other Ranks

Service Family Accommodation [SFA] (which used to be called Married Quarters).

In short, if you are married you are entitled to SFA, the size of which is dictated by the size of your family.

The service will provide and charge rent for accommodation for you, but not your partner unless you have a family.

SFA Charges 2010

If you're single with no dependent children, serving in a base area, you will live in either on the barracks in service Accommodation or live out in private rented or privately bought accommodation & need read no further, other than perhaps read the last section if you intend buying privately.

SFA- ENTITLED SERVICE PERSONNEL

Entitlement criteria. To be entitled to Service Family Accommodation (SFA) Service personnel must be:

a. Aged 18 or over, have completed their initial training and be serving on a
    regular engagement with the UK Armed Forces, or be a Full Commitment (FC) Reservist as defined in single Service instructions. For those personnel under 18 years of age the parent unit must accept responsibility for their behaviour until the 18th birthday.

b. In Personal status category (PStatCat) 1, 1C, 1S or 2 as defined below:

c. Have at least 6 months to serve at the station where they qualify for SFA.

PERSONAL STATUS CATEGORY DEFINITIONS

1. The definitions of Personal Status Category (PStat Cat) into which personnel are placed for the purpose of determining entitlements to benefits are described below.

2. All personnel are to be placed into one of the following PStat Cats:

a. PStat Cat 1. Those in PStat Cat 1 will meet one of the following qualifying
    criteria:

(1) A married member of the Armed Forces, who lives with their spouse,
    or who would do so but for the exigencies of the Armed Forces.

(2) A member of the Armed Forces, who is registered in a civil
    partnership in accordance with the Civil Partnership Act 2004, or is in a civil
    partnership under an overseas scheme recognised under that Act, and who
    lives with their registered civil partner, or who would do so but for the
    exigencies of the Armed Forces.

b. PStat Cat 2. Those in PStat Cat 2 will meet one of the following qualifying
    criteria
    :
    (1) A member of the Armed Forces who has parental responsibility
    within the terms of the Children Act 1989 for a child(ren) and who satisfies all
    of the following conditions:

(a) Can properly be regarded as the centre and prime mover in the
    life of the child(ren).

(b) Provides a home where they normally live with the child(ren)
    except where unable to do so for reasons attributable to their service
    in the Armed Forces.

(c) Provides, where the child(ren) is unable to care for itself, a child
    carer who can look after the child(ren) during their absences
    attributable to their service in the Armed Forces. The child carer must
    not be the other natural parent of the child(ren). The other natural
    parent should normally only have staying access to the child(ren) for
    an aggregate of 56 days in any 12 month period. Staying access
    greater than this may render the Service person ineligible for PStat
    Cat2 (these restrictions on access do not apply while on recognised
    Unaccompanied Duty).

(d) Accepts financial responsibility for the child(ren).

c. PStat Cat 3. A member of the Armed Forces who is not in PStat Cat 1 or 2 and
    who provides financial support for their spouse or former spouse, civil partner or
    former civil partner, or child(ren) by voluntary agreement. In this case, voluntary
    agreement means financial support provided other than pursuant to an order made
    by a court, a Child Support Agency Maintenance Assessment, or the MOD under
    the relevant Service Act.

d. PStat Cat 4. A member of the Armed Forces who is not in PStat Cat 1 or 2 and
    who provides financial support for their spouse or former spouse, civil partner or
    former civil partner or child(ren) under an order made by a court, a Child Support
    Agency Maintenance Assessment, or the MOD under the relevant Service act.

e. PStat Cat 5. All other members of the Armed Forces.

Assisted House Purchase Scheme

The scheme is called the (download) Long Service Advance of Pay .

It?s rather complex, but in bite-sized chunks:

1. First time buyers primarily. (Reduced amounts for former house buyers)
    2. Re-paid during your last 10-12 years service. (If you leave, you have to pay back full amount.)
    3. ?8500 Maximum loan ? you do not see the money- it?s paid direct to the conveyencing solicitor.
    4. Must be a UK property
    5. You must have completed training
    6. You/your dependent family must live in the property.

16. iceman78090

iceman78090 New Member

thank you, all a lot clearer now.

17. adamfox

adamfox New Member

They seem like the best to me!!I I was thinking about the Parachute Regiment. Then I realised to Commandos are the best of the best!

18. Oggy96

Oggy96 New Member

To be honest, the advantages weight out the disadvantages. You can earn a lot of skills and qualifications while in the RM unlike any other civilian job.

19. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Specifically, there are more opportunities in the Royal Marines to learn specialized (and transferrable) skills than in any Army infantry regiment I know of.

PS: Writing the above didn?t hurt at all. :smile:

20. ry_ox

ry_ox New Member

Thanks Ninja! ;)