Advantages / disadvantages as a Royal Marine

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jan 14, 2009.

1. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

My lads contract was 12 years, unless the rank of Cpl was reached before the 12 year point. Whereby the option to serve 22 years was available. I think that's right? Has this now changed to 18 years or age 40? And if so which option would my lad now come under?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

You are correct with regard those joining today are on an initial contract of 12 years, unless recommended/promoted to Corporal. Upon promotion the contract length is extended to 20 years, regardless of age.

Post #1 corrected - cheers @arny01, missed that bit!

• Like Like x 1
  3. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Brill!! Cheers!!

4. Ninja_Stoker

I've added more disadvantages to the list at post #1 which I hope will more accurately reflect the negative aspects as perceived by those currently serving.

If any trained ranks wish to add to the positives/negatives, please post here & I'll amend.

5. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

Dont want to sound negative but in light of what has/is happening at the moment another disadvantage is
    -You run the risk of being put on trial and if found guilty could be locked up for doing your job.

Happy New Year Guys.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Yip. Bit of an iffy one to pop on the list unfortunately, but the sentiment is certainly echoed.

Happy New Year.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. FRMCCK

FRMCCK Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I couldn't find a thread discussing this and couldn't see it on this one but I had a teacher who served in the forces prior to his teaching career and he was telling me about the privilege of rail discounts. I was wondering if serving in the Navy/Marines are eligible for a type of forces rail card?

8. Bellionaire679

Bellionaire679 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Yep, All military personnel and dependants are entitled to the HM Forces rail card which gets you a third off rail fairs. Railcard itself costs £15 I believe

9. FRMCCK

FRMCCK Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Yes this is what i thought ahha thankyou for the reply :) should be helpful if i get to unit

10. Ninja_Stoker

Post #1 on this thread:

Matthew Chapter 7, verse 7. Innit.

• Like Like x 1