Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

advice about joining

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by patricko9, Sep 16, 2019.

1. patricko9

patricko9 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    hello ive wanted to join the marines for along time now and only recently decided this is the time to do it. 23 year old gas engineer and fed up of the day to day and listening to people tell me the armed forces life isn't worth it. I haven't registered any interest officially as I'm working on my fitness and getting in the best shape I possibly can just needed abit advice of a couple of lads who've been there and done it ? after the PRMC is completed how long before your into training? and is it lengthy waits in between registering interest and PRMC dates and initial interviews and stuff? not sure if I should register now whilst I'm training or do the 3-4 months hard training and then register interest? I'm fairly fit as it is, football 4 times a week and boxing twice a week.
    sorry if ive posted in wrong section I'm not used to forums
    cheers

• Like Like x 1
  2. browner467

browner467 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I’m in exactly the same position as you mate, I’m a self-employed Electrician with a supportive girlfriend but unsupportive family (I’m sure it’ll change) - registered my interest with the Royal Marines today.

3. patricko9

patricko9 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    good on you pal. I'm definitely going for it just want to be in best shape possible and not sure how long stuff takes don't want to apply incase I'm not ready

• Like Like x 1
  4. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Not completely sure about the timeline as it depends on a number of agencies but providing all goes well, 6 months would seem a good average to work to.

As to if the forces life is worth it, only you can say as only you will know how happy you are with your current lot in life. I always ask people where they want to be in 10 years time. In the same job you are in now or having spent time doing something recognised around the world. If you don’t like it, do a few years as you always have a trade to fall back on.

Don’t die wandering.

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. patricko9

patricko9 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    cheers pal I'm going to go for it listened to peoples opinions too long, their favourite line is 'why? when you earn good money doing your job' like it has anything to do with money haha. thanks for advice

• Disagree. Disagree. x 1
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Give some of those same people another ten years and they'll be moaning that they didn't pursue a service career.

Anyway, there's more to life than replacing yet another failed zone valve body. :)

• Like Like x 5