Advice for PRMC(R) - withdraw or grin and bear it?

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Warehouse125, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Warehouse125

Warehouse125 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Long story short, I'm nowhere near fit enough to pass PRMC(R). It's not a question of mind over matter. I'm running till my vision blurs and I'm chundering, but my CV fitness simply isn't there yet. RMFA is good - I get good scores on bodyweight exercises and I've managed to thrash myself so I can now pass the bleep test (went up from 8.6 -> 11.4). However my BFT is embarrassing with best effort 1.5 mile time of 14 average and 13:17 my absolute best. My PRMC(R) is in a week and I can guarantee I will fail.

So what looks less *text deleted* to training staff: withdraw and ask to be backtrooped to next year's troop? This would give me some proper time to prepare physically. Or turn up to PRMC and fail? If I turn up, I will fail for the second time and I don't want to get a rep for being a serial wash out. I asked some of the other recruits and they said "turn up, otherwise chief instructor will see you as wrapping and he hates that". However, I'm still not sure.

Bit more detail:

As I stated in my intro post, I've only been training for a month and a half, before which I was dead set on competitively playing for my uni rugby team. This required an absurdly high body weight (I was trying to keep up with blokes weighing 100kg and above), ridiculous weight sessions and zero cardio. Now that I know that I'm too muscular and heavy for RMR, I've dedicated everything I can to meeting the requirements here.

I've pretty much sacked off rugby (Royal Marines is infinitely more important to me than 2 years of uni rugby) and have put weights on the back burner, instead focussing on intervals, long runs, Parkrun 5Ks and bleep test practices. However, 1.5 months isn't really long enough to make any meaningful change in any discipline, let alone military fitness.

What would be ideal is if training staff would allow me to stay in holding troop and crack phys on my own till next year when I could try for 119 Tp. In a year I could dramatically improve my CV fitness and hopefully pass PRMC. It would put me in a good place for RT as well. Thoughts?

2. posh_punter

posh_punter Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    How is your general cardio fitness? There's a lot of running at PRMC in addition to the 3 miler.
    The 3 miler at Lympstone is a lot easier than you're probably used to, as the 1.5 mile return is mostly downhill, so people get faster times than they expect. However, it's the first thing you do when you get there, so if you fail, you'll have to do the rest of the weekend with that at the back of your mind.
    If your general cardio and gym tests are pretty good, then I'd say have a crack at it, as you'll have to wait another year to start training otherwise. Otherwise, wait till you're ready.

3. Warehouse125

Warehouse125 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Cheers for the reply! Our PRMC for my detachment is at Swynnerton Training Area and I've already attempted the PRMC(R) once and failed. I JUST scraped a pass on the RMFA with 181 points but my run time was horrible with 13:17. The BFT was the last thing we did on the weekend on fairly flat roads aside from the determination test which followed about 2 minutes after.

Since then (August 5th) I've been smashing phys and managed to max out gym tests (press, pull and sit ups) and got my VO2 max up to level 11.4 but I didn't do enough long distance running. Even when my other oppos came to train with me and they're screaming at me to pick up the pace I couldn't manage faster than 13 minutes.

My reasoning is that in a week I'll either fail or I'll pass and be the weakest member in my Tp and wash out pretty quick. Or I take this year to work on my CV fitness and proper chew up the PRMC next year.

4. posh_punter

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Ah, didn't realise that was the case. Given the circumstances I would definitely say leave it till next year and smash the phys in the meantime.

5. ERFC

ERFC Royal Marines Commando

You may be able to score full marks on the RMFA but the bulk of training will be CV/muscular endurance related. You really don’t want to be doing a PRMC without a return of around 09:30 on the BFT.

I’m not trying to be a *text deleted* about it but don’t go down there and waste the instructors time. Take the time to properly prepare and you’ll save yourself a lot of admin in the long run. If you can’t comfortably pass a BFT then I’m afraid you’ll have no chance for the rest of the course.

Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. (7p’s)

At the moment you’ve planned what you want to do which is to improve your phys however you’ve not done the adequate preparation for the course which ultimately will lead to a *text deleted* performance. This will just knock your confidence and trust me you don’t want that happening at this early stage!

6. Warehouse125

Warehouse125 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Yeah 100% agree. Oppos said turn up anyway because it 'shows determination' but to be honest, like you said, my performance on the BFT would most likely make an instructor think "what the f are you doing here?".

Going from never having done any meaningful cardio a month ago to PRMC is a bit ambitious so like you lads have said, I'll put in the proper graft this year. Didn't really have the time to work on my cardio since joining so hopefully postponing will let me 'plan and prepare' properly.

7. uthred1986

uthred1986 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Two sides for me personally.

I say turn up and smash it as much you can physically and mentally. We can’t all hit top marks, but as long as they can see that grit and determination, and know the main foundation of your fitness is there. then it will come.

Second side, I’ll most be likely be carry your 100kg next week, as I’m 109kg.

Do it mate, year is a long time to wait and worst case is you just learn from the PRMCR again.

Go for it, and put the doubts out your mind.

8. Lockheed35

Lockheed35 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    For Prmc is it a black suit you should wear or are blue and grey allowed too?

9. sbradb

sbradb Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I’m sorry if I’m being a little slow or missed something right now but I’ve got to ask- how did you pass your PJFT to go on to PRMC(R) if your 1.5mile return is 13mins?

Also how did you not fail immediately after your BFT and still go on to the RMFA if your return was 13mins?

Edit: I just realised your BFT was the last thing on the day- ignore the last Qu.

10. posh_punter

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Doesn't matter, just look smart.

11. Warehouse125

Warehouse125 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    @sbradb Reserves don't have PJFT I don't think. I only put it on my profile as it's the only option before passing PRMC. As for why I was allowed to try for PRMC I'm not sure. Perhaps the reserves need the men so they're keen to chuck as many through RT as possible. Beats me.

12. sbradb

sbradb Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Oh right- I never knew that!