Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Advice from an old guy

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by wyomingpat, Oct 15, 2019.

1. JWJ

JWJ Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    You can see what the designers were going for, I’m no ballistics expert but from my layman eyes the 4.8 certainly seems to look like it’ll have better ballistics

2. wyomingpat

wyomingpat New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Working at a shooting range in Wyoming I have had several old soldiers tell me they were conned out of getting the FAL by politicians. They got the M14 instead. It is a great rifle but inferior as a battle rifle. 7.62 is the US .308 round. .308 is slightly higher pressure which is the only difference. My Mossberg Scout is "7.62" and my Ruger Precision is ".308".

3. wyomingpat

wyomingpat New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    As an aside 7.62 is still the battle round for distance. MOD has bought several thousand AR10s from Lewis Machine & Tool as a sharpshooter firearm for every 8th Man I understand. Paras got them first.

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

L129A1 on this side of the pond.

5. wyomingpat

wyomingpat New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Civilian version nearly $4K. It is direct impingement operation so needs more frequent cleaning than the old L1A1.

6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

How much?! I'm seeking an L42A1 with full CES. Unbelievably these Lee Enfields change hands here for in excess of US$14K. :eek:
    It's likely to remain on my wish list.

7. PPLLOOFF

PPLLOOFF Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Have a watch of this Pat. Very interesting. As far as I know, the Americans though the .208 British wasn’t powerful enough so converted it to the 7.62 Nato standard which made it unusable in an automatic personal weapon system.

• Like Like x 1