Advice from Careers Advisors

THOR

Reaction score
I've been in the process now since Feb/March. Currently passed the interview and waiting on a paper review which was looked at by the CAPITA Doctor one month ago.

I know the standard is 'Ever changing situation', but can someone in the know give me a reasonable estimate for the minimum time it could be to get into training.

My previous work has been knocked out from Covid and obviously work/savings situation right now is more bleak than I'd like.

Have an opportunity to get on something but I'd have to commit until June; if I might be at CTCRM in a couple months I'd be tempted to hold off but if it's looking like next year then I think continue with selection but defer elements to then enter after June is the best plan for me (if this is possible).

Basically looking for advice as I've been unable to contact my AFCO *text deleted* either by email or phone to talk the situation and options over.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
From passing your VPJFT the "current" timeline to expect is 8-10 (this of course is subject to change) weeks for an ROP start date, you will in that time be required to complete your face to face medical and security clearance plus a few briefs from your AFCO and a final interview which is an update to all intense purposes.

THOR

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Forgot to mention that the earliest my eye test could be booked with boots was the 14th December (got my name straight on the cancellation list but apparently so are many others). Is it the case that I won't be able to book the face to face medical until this is cleared? Or is there some flex with all that is on?

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Face to Face medicals are booked once VPJFT has been passed - you not will not pass a face to face unless you have completed an eyesight test - you do not have to stay at your local Boots, you could see if a differing branch in a nearby town has one available beforehand and use that location.

You or the AFCO do not book the medicals - they are allocated centrally, as mentioned once you pass VPJFT you are allocated a start date this allows the medical to be booked as long as within 3 months of your start date.

THOR

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Will be calling around the nearest boots tomorrow and hopefully find something sooner.

redmotive

Reaction score
Face to Face medicals are booked once VPJFT has been passed - you not will not pass a face to face unless you have completed an eyesight test - you do not have to stay at your local Boots, you could see if a differing branch in a nearby town has one available beforehand and use that location.

You or the AFCO do not book the medicals - they are allocated centrally, as mentioned once you pass VPJFT you are allocated a start date this allows the medical to be booked as long as within 3 months of your start date.
Huh. I was under the impression it was the other way around.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Nope.!! the above is the format it (should) goes in.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guide

Is this the new way AFCOs are doing the application process or is different to each AFCO and what order they wish to do it?

I was told start of August that soon as I get my documents and apply I come in do the recruit test then get the medical out the way then go from there.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
It is interim measures due to COVID as there are not enough medicals as of yet - so the above is the route you should follow - it may vary due to individual circumstances, but as mentioned the F2F medicals are allocated centrally, and in most cases allocated at a certain point - that "currently" being you paperwork being done, an interview done, Triage medical done, VPJFT done, once these are complete a date for ROP can be asked for and medicals allocated to those due to start training at a known point.

Once more normality resumes this might very well change.!

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Just a few questions.

Do the f2f and security clearence get processed quicker if you have a ROP date in 8-10 weeks?
How long is the vPJFT valid for once passed?
My passport is expired so I need to get that renewed i got birth certificate but how far in the application can you get without a valid passport?

Cheers again for the information

Halcyon

Reaction score
My passport is expired so I need to get that renewed i got birth certificate but how far in the application can you get without a valid passport?

Cheers again for the information
Purely on the passport front, I was told I needed to get one to join (I'm a dual citizen and hadn't renewed my British one for a good while). I had a ROP date, had passed vPJFT and all the rest of it before my renewed passport actually arrived.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Purely on the passport front, I was told I needed to get one to join (I'm a dual citizen and hadn't renewed my British one for a good while). I had a ROP date, had passed vPJFT and all the rest of it before my renewed passport actually arrived.
That’s good to know then cheers for that!

Charlesg97

Reaction score
I've been waiting for my F2F Medical since Late July, AFCO is chasing central to get me seen but there is obviously a huge backlog. I've yet to pass my VJPFT though - i was told at the start of COVID they'll send me to complete as many stages of the process as i can not to hold up the process anymore that needs to be, so think some 'standard' procedures are out of the window at the minute

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
@Mattys , the VPJFT pass is the trigger for your face to face and security clearance to be processed, so the answer the the first question is no.!

You need a in date passport prior to entry and this will be checked as part of the AFCO paperwork check , if it has been requested and you have the proof for that in extremis that will c
over you as well
@Charlesg97 , you should not get your F2F until VPFT is passed as that " currently" is the trigger for RM medicals

johno4

Reaction score
@Mattys , the VPJFT pass is the trigger for your face to face and security clearance to be processed, so the answer the the first question is no.!

You need a in date passport prior to entry and this will be checked as part of the AFCO paperwork check , if it has been requested and you have the proof for that in extremis that will c
over you as well
@Charlesg97 , you should not get your F2F until VPFT is passed as that " currently" is the trigger for RM medicals
Can the F2F medical be done down at Lympstone ?

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
No - they do not have the capacity for that. this was brought up as a possible solution due to COVID.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

over you as well

I didn’t get myself across the way I needed to!

What I was trying to say was once vPJFT is passed if you have a ROP booked for 8-10 weeks away would the medical and security clearence be processed quicker?
Only reason I’m asking is last time I did SC it took 11 weeks and my medical situation won’t be as straight forward so was just asking would they be processed quicker than normal due to having a ROP date scheduled? And if not and for some reason one of the other takes longer to be passed does your ROP date get changed to a later date based on this?

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

over you as well

I didn’t get myself across the way I needed to!

What I was trying to say was once vPJFT is passed if you have a ROP booked for 8-10 weeks away would the medical and security clearence be processed quicker?
Only reason I’m asking is last time I did SC it took 11 weeks and my medical situation won’t be as straight forward so was just asking would they be processed quicker than normal due to having a ROP date scheduled? And if not and for some reason one of the other takes longer to be passed does your ROP date get changed to a later date based on this?

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Medical should be done in the period before you start ROP , SC is down to the Vetting agency - so not able to answer that, but Naval Careers are aware that there is a time risk there so far not had an applicant that has not been cleared in time.!!.