Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Advice needed regarding surgery (TMU)

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by GlasgowBear, Aug 4, 2019.

1. GlasgowBear

GlasgowBear New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    A year ago I landed awkwardly on my knee and badly hurt it. Got an MRI in March and showed my knee is fine only a bit of bruised bone. My problem is I know for a fact I have a loose piece of cartilage or bone floating around in my knee so I had to tell my doctor, going to see an orthopaedic this month. I know I'll need keyhole surgery but I can't stand the thought of having to wait a year plus to carry on with my application.

Is it worth shelling out 3 grand for private keyhole? I'm thinking about doing it but I can see myself still having problems with capita about it so could be waiting ages anyway.

What would you do?

2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

If it's on your medical records then it will show up and you will be made TMU. The only advantage of having the op done privately is that it will be quicker, but private or NHS, it will still be on your records.

Having had a few arthroscopies on my knees over the years, it will lay you up for around 6 weeks. They tell you 3 weeks, but I was not able to start running until 6 to 8 weeks and then nothing serious.

It's your call as to whether you go private or NHS, but either way my guess is that the Corps will not accept you until you are fully recovered and considering that knee injuries are a high risk during RT, you can understand why.

Good luck

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  3. GlasgowBear

GlasgowBear New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Only thing that's on my records is I hurt my knee a year ago and I went to the doctors a few weeks ago saying I have a piece of loose cartilage in my knee. I can imagine it'll sound a bit dodgy if I say my knee has magically healed. Just annoying the MRI showed nothing, possibly will have to go for another meaning more time TMU.

Gutted but I know there's lads that have conditions that mean they will always be PMU, least I can have a bash at one point.

4. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

But if you have surgery then that will be on your records, along with your visit to the doctors, so has to be declared.

If anyone tried to complete RT with an injury such as this, my guess is that they wouldn't get through the first few weeks, plus they would probably be discharged if it was found to be a pre existing condition.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  5. GlasgowBear

GlasgowBear New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Thanks for the advice, more time to get fit I suppose and saved me 3 grand. :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

My bold. Just for clarity, are you stating that your knee condition is self-diagnosed?

Your MRI scan was negative but how about an ultrasound scan? It's your knee but I'd sooner have a medical professional assess and formally diagnose mine.

7. GlasgowBear

GlasgowBear New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    It is self-diagnosed yes, a little oval shaped something moves to the side of my knee where I can touch it feel like cutting it out myself, annoying. I'll see what the orthopaedic wants to do and go from there.

8. Squatmonkey

Squatmonkey Royal Marines Commando

Pm me

Long story short, ideally avoid surgery (private or not) if your knee is not locking or giving way

9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Personally I would first arm myself with the relevant service medical standards for entry specific to knees and then use them as a basis for discussions with medical professionals about possible non-surgical fixes, if there are any.

Also, don't lead or prompt medical professionals to making a diagnosis. Let them make their own independent diagnosis based upon assessment. This avoids inaccurate, potentially unhelpful entries appearing on medical records.
    Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1