Advice on maintaining a 6 minute mile pace

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by ThurmanMurman99, Jan 11, 2017.

1. ThurmanMurman99

ThurmanMurman99 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Earlier today I had my selection interview, my knowledge was solid and I answered everything thrown at me confidently however my careers adviser told me that I am not yet fit enough to progress to the next stage of my application and to be fair I think she has a point. I have been told to come back in 3 months time where she will asses my fitness standards and BFT timings once again and if she thinks I'm fit enough she will put me onto the next stage.

The problem with my fitness is my running. I've never been a natural racesnake however I am a quick sprinter- I cannot maintain the speed required for the 1.5 mile return. Currently I can run the BFT outside in 10:38 which is not ideal I know. I also have two seeiously overworked calves due to me jumping into a tough running programme without the neccessary conditioning beforehand- I have been to a physiotherapist(both private and NHS) who have both advised me to tone down my training for a shortwhile as they suspect I have strained my calves so nothing too serious.

Back to the point; despite being disheartened by the 3 month wait- it is perhaps a blessing as it is a fairly long while for me to rest, recover and up my fitness much more and my aim is to absolutely obliterate the PJFT and BFT with atleast a sub 9:30 return (obviously aiming as high possible) before I actually do my PJFT so please, if anyone who has any experience as a running coach, PTI or just experience of this situation- who can perhaps give me tips on building a programme to allow me to accomplish this goal, can you please give me advice. Cheers;)

Also, YES I have considered arnys plan however I am not fit enough for it yet and I will definately pick it up ASAP- and my pushup, situp and pullup scores are 40, 46, 15 respectively. (Yes 15 pullups tp the bleep, I am aware that I am a tank)

• Like Like x 1
  2. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Good attitude, more time to wait equals more time to train. Its not a set back, its an opportunity.

Regarding maintaining the pace, firstly you will of course need to rest up and recover. You can do light active recovery! I pulled my hamstring last year and gradually eased it back into action - realising forcing it to run wont do diddly squat 'xcept make it worse! So i diddly squatted! ;)

Do calf raises every so often, to get your calves stronger, foam roll them, and stretch them. Best way to stretch them for me is to put something under your toes, like some books, about as high as the curb of a foot path, touch your heel to the floor, holding for five seconds, and releasing, pause a moment, do it again. You can do it at home, at the dinner table, at work, you can be standing or sitting. And you can do the calf raises any time too, just keep it regular, make them stronger. Rest them too, dont do it all the time. Its up to you how long you want to do that for before going out running again. It took me a week and a half to get my hamstring ok.

The pace is something somebody else would have to cover, i am still struggling myself to keep that pace, so hopefully my advice on recovering will be helpful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ThurmanMurman99

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Cheers fella, my physio gave me a calf strengthening program to follow and I foam roll everyday and contrast bathe my calves also so hopefully as long as I'm patient I should be up and running in no time; I will definately do that exercise you recommended and I appreciate the time you've taken to give me advice - take care pal ;)

• Like Like x 2
  4. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Take care to you too man, and mind yourself.

Keep patient, it will pay off!

5. Jaykay2343

Jaykay2343 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hi mate. I was also deferred for 3 months due to phys reasons.

Regards running. To improve to a 6min Mile pace you need to push your threshold. If on a treadmill doing 1min on/1min off for 10 sets at 15kph, make small goals to improve it to 16kph, 17kph, it's not so much running, it is increasing your max oxygen intake. Build those lungs and get your heart rate beating hard and fast. Over time do 1min on/45secs off, 1min on/30 seconds off etc

A method I used outside is: 30mins...
    5mins at a fast speed, but a pace you can maintain, then 1min balls out, repeat for 5 times in total. You should be hanging out by the end if you really do give it a max effort.

800m fast run, 800m jog, 800m fast run...on the jog use it as a recovery. As you get fitter over time increase the speed of the 'recovery jog'

These methods helped me loads.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  6. ThurmanMurman99

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I will definately try those fartlek sessions as to be fair I always seem to notice improvements after a while of doing hard interval sessions so I think you're spot on with that advice. Sound mate:)