Advice on stopping boredom eating...

ryanp16

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well lads.

Started training properly a few weeks ago. No problem with motivation to make myself go running or to the gym, and my diet is pretty healthy. One problem I'm having though is in the evenings say around 8-9 pm I tend to get insanely bored and just eat a bit of whatever. Usually it's not unhealthy I just tend to pig out on a big bowl of cereal or even two at some times.

I'm not overweight but could still do with getting down a few kg. Currently between 5'11'' and 6' and weight 80kg.

So any advice lads on stopping the evening gorge? I'd gladly go for a run but don't want to over train and injure myself you know? I'm doing intervals three times a weeks and slow longer runs twice a week.

Thanks lads. :smile:

Bohdan

Reaction score
If its just a bowl of cereal now and then, it's not that bad. But then depending on what cereals your eating can be, as most cereals actualy have tons of sugar in them. If you do feel like eating something, other than holding out and trying not to, eat something along the lines of cottage cheese or drink a casein shake. At least this way the food you'll be eating will benefit you.
And if your eating stuff you don't want to be, just don't buy them in the first place, if it's not there you can't have it.

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry I have no advice. But I have become the same. I'm not sure if it's because I've stepped my training up and lowered my protein intake or what. But *text deleted** become a proper chocolate and junk addict. Constantly craving rubbish food.

Kind of annoying to be honest :(

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'm 5'11 and used to weigh 80kg but have gone down to 70kg through training!!

Snacking was something I had to wipe out to get where I am, just need to keep yourself busy then you won't get bored and be tempted.

gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i wouldnt worry about it mate, you need extra calories to account for all the extra phys. im 5'9 and about 72kg and feel far better than i did at 67kg. so long as what you're taking in is good stuff, it shouldn't cause you any problems

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Switch to healthy snacks.

0% fat greek yoghurt with honey and almonds for example.

I'm just over 5"9' and around 80kg, but 6-8% body fat, not trouble with running etc. Wouldn't worry about your weight, it's your performance and health that counts.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
As already said try eating healthier snacks.

Alternatively, you said it is boredom eating. Why are you bored? Try reading something engaging in the evenings. There are many books on the marines. Pick one and try reading instead of sitting in front of the TV getting bored. Assuming this is what is happening.

ryanp16

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry I have no advice. But I have become the same. I'm not sure if it's because I've stepped my training up and lowered my protein intake or what. But *text deleted** become a proper chocolate and junk addict. Constantly craving rubbish food.
Might be what's wrong with me. To be honest I'm not getting near enough protein and that's meant to make you feel fuller.. Looks like I'll up the protein so!

Alternatively, you said it is boredom eating. Why are you bored? Try reading something engaging in the evenings. There are many books on the marines. Pick one and try reading instead of sitting in front of the TV getting bored. Assuming this is what is happening.
It's pretty much just from having nothing to do. Like I'm in college from about 9 to 5 most days, and most of my workouts and running are done there in the gym, and all my assignments and stuff are done as well so after I get home and cook dinner I'm pretty much left with nothing to do. That's good advice on the marine book! I used to do jujitsu as well, might just go back to that!

S

stokey_14

To be honest the main way to stop ?boredom eating? is with a little self control. If you plan to have 3-4 meals a day have them and JUST them. Don?t use your own boredom as an excuse.

Also make sure your hydrated as often people with think there hungry when in actual fact there just in need of some H20.

Stokey

GHO5T

Reaction score
I actually have this problem too and the best i've managed to treat it is to either have something small and not too bad like a yoghurt or even like a fudge, or to have a pint of milk or water as sometimes we can confuse thirst for hunger

Jbc

Royal Marines Commando -Moderator
Reaction score
2 tablespoons of peanut butter if I get the late munchies normally sorts me out..

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
1. Have some self control.
2. Swich to healthier foods if you are going to scoff some down you.
3, As stated, eat higher protein foods but also high fibre foods these both make you more full up.
4. If you eat carbs during the day make sure they are slow releasing complex carbs. Fast acting carbs give you a spike of energy and make you full for a short period, after this you will become very hungry fast.

Jbc

Royal Marines Commando -Moderator
Reaction score
Peanut butter is essence!

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
In fairness, Peanut Butter is worthy of the gods!

A good technique I've stuck to for a week or so (personal record for dieting!) is to be really vain, forget fitness for a minute and just think of how much more, erm, 'action' you'll get if you're ripped. Confidence in abs increases = inner LAD increases :biggrin:

S

stokey_14

Got some almond butter from Myprotein last week, tried it out today on a rice cake.

My god it?s good.

Stokey