Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Advice

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by lanclev, May 16, 2019.

1. lanclev

lanclev New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Firstly, I am going to apologise for hijacking this section for an Army purpose but some of the advice and help on here is second to none.

Over a year ago I was desperate to drop out of Sixth Form and join the marines but received some excellent advice from @Chelonian and @Mattys that played a big part in my sticking with A-levels which begin next week.

I am currently in the process of joining the Army as an Officer and I have recently passed my interview. I’m by no means trying to get ahead of myself but should I pass my medical and subsequently Army Officer Selection Board I’d rock up at Sandhurst as an 18 year old with relatively little life experience.

University is not a route I particularly want to put myself through as I honestly don’t believe my heart would be 100 percent in it. Recently I have began looking into teaching English as a foreign language internships in Asia and this appeals to me greatly, I was just wondering whether or not this is a viable route to get some life experience under my belt and whether or not anyone else on here has done this and would potentially recommend it?

As a side note I am also curious as to whether if I ended up teaching out in China this would affect my national security vetting in anyway?

Thank you.

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Someone better qualified than I will give you a definitive answer but I think that the time one lives outside of the UK is a bigger factor than destination. With perhaps the obvious exception of countries such as Syria.

Although you don't want to attend a university course it is arguable that a few years TEFL in, say, China would provide considerable equivalence, particularly independent living and exposure to new experiences.

Additionally such an experience would immerse you in the lifestyle of modern China giving insight into important cultural nuances and what makes China tick. Plus the obvious gleaning of language skills. Given the rise of China you might gain some very portable and marketable skills.

Hopefully others will chip in with their experience of similar jobs overseas. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1