advise and help please.......

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
have my prmc on tueday (well i travel down tueday)

but last wednesday i was out running...stepped from the road to the path and shooting pain started going up my right calf from my heel....not to painful...but enough to bug me...but wears of after a while....got home felt it in bed and when i woke up the next day and walked around...again...not painfull...but i can feel it.

ive had this before...3 times...goes away after about a week of doin nothing.

any way...left it a few days....4 in fact....went out last night..to do light jog (as easing down this week in prep for next week) and sure enough withing..20 metres...there is this pain again...so i stop instantly..and mope of home.

now im packing it in ice..bought a strap for it.

what i *text deleted* know is.

i need to do some thing to keep my fitness up this week in prep for next week....

is going on the cross trainer and rowing *text deleted* be enough to tide my over?

maybe a light run monday night just to test my ankle..

i will NOT be cancelling my prmc....its took me for ever to get to this point and i will be going down armed with potent pain killers if need be....but im sure it will be fine.

what would ever one else do...rowing? cross trainer...nothing and just rest my leg completely?

im still doin my circuits all this week,so thats some thing...but i cant see my fitness decreasing to much in a week?

your thoughts please.

FromtheGlos

Reaction score
mate you sound like you have the attitude sorted. Just get down to lympstone and try your heart out, pack yourself full of pain killers and crack on. ''its only pain''
sounds like your trainings going good, well done

ftg

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
a cross trainer would only make a calf injury worse... i would have thought a go on the rowing machine would be ok though.. or go swimming.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
You're not going to like my response;

You have to be able to attend PRMC able to give 100%, any less than that, such as attending whilst being unwell, unfit or carrying an injury is wasting one of your chances. You can't just hope, you have to perform at a maximum.

There's no shame in postponing BEFORE you attend as it does not class as a fail, but if you attend and fail, for whatever reason, it's still one of your chances gone. Those that fail PRMC usually look to blame some outside factor other than the fault lying with themselves.

Whatever you choose is ultimately up to you, but you certainly cannot start Recruit Training hoping it will go away, it won't- quite the reverse.

Good luck to you in any event, but if in doubt- Don't.

Globe-Trotter

PRMC Passed
Reaction score
I will agree with NS on this one..

Dont know if you remember I tried running my first PJFT on an injury,failed by 20 seconds and felt stupid after making a mistake.

Id rest it over the next few days (do something else instead) and test yourself at the weekend and if you have any pain just cancel your PRMC,I know its a hard thing to do...I was in the same situation on my PJFT and thought I could run through it but it all went pear shaped.If I had simply cancelled it and waited till fit and done it again my record would have looked a lot better than the PJFT fail.

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe Ninja can clear this one up for me, but if you cancel it I'm sure you'll be given a fresh PRMC for maybe only a few weeks away.

I know I wouldn't go down to PRMC if I wasn't 100% about my fitness, no matter if I thought I could still pass it. NEVER risk permament injury.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Mackie said:
...if you cancel it I'm sure you'll be given a fresh PRMC for maybe only a few weeks away.

NEVER risk permament injury.

Absolutely spot on. The odds are you can get on another course a couple of weeks later or, if you want, months later.

I've lost count of the amount of candidates that go on PRMC, fail the 3 mile run & then write on the "fail proforma" that they were carrying a known injury before they attended. When asked why they went with an injury the reply is usually: "I thought it wouldn't affect me". It does.

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* give it til sunday.

taking everything i can for it...and keeping well off it..

in all fairness...this has happen before and took about 4 days to clear up.

fingers crossed

Mr T

Reaction score
Hope it clears up for you Alan.

I went for my brief the other day, got 7 from my AFCO going. Got my rail tickets sorted.

Hope to see you down there mate.

Best wishes

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
phoned my AFCO...said i will ring him last thing monday..to give my self the best chance...if not...next prmc will be end of feb

how ever....my bootneck mates said get your arse down here and show some commando spirit *text deleted*

hes only saying that cause he is on his juniors course and bein ragged about.

got 5 full days of rest keeping of my ankle...pain killers you name it...the lot.

fingers crossed

Globe-Trotter

PRMC Passed
Reaction score
alan wilson said:
phoned my AFCO...said i will ring him last thing monday..to give my self the best chance...if not...next prmc will be end of feb

If thats the case I would play it safe...only 6 weeks away.Rather wait that and be fit than go down there with a possibility of it getting worse and getting a 3/6 month deferal.

Up to you mate though and goodluck with what you decide

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If it was something other than a leg or foot injury then you might be able to go down there and get away with it by showing some 'commando spirit'.

However, if it's a recurring problem, giving it a few days rest will not do. I could be wrong, you might get lucky, but you've probably got a very big chance of going down there and hurting it more. The 3 miler and determination tests are not kind to your body, just make sure you're going down there for the right reasons and not risking anything.

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* rest all weekend...go for light jog monday....any pain...im deferring my prmc.

still getting the odd bit of pain just walking.

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
further more...if i cant run...what else can i do to keep my fitness right up?

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Feel for you mate. I had to cancel my PRMC in sept due to shin problems,and im still surrfering more than 6 months on. Having only done a handfull of runs since last summer. Its such a wide subject,lower leg injuries that classing it as shin splints wont help much,lots of people will tell you they were able to run through them (In which case it wasnt serious MTSS etc), but id strongly advise resting them,even if you have to postpone.Im still looking to join up,but as of yet i cant see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Im keeping my fitness up,and have been for months ,by boxing,swimming,clycing and intense circuit training (30mins non stop,including burpees,sprints etc to tax your CV system)

Stick with it mate,i was really depressed for months when i had to cancel,im just starting to get motivated with training again though and i know one day ill be fine!

I wish you the best,and if it hurts,dont do it! Theres no Commando spirit in running through serious mechanical injuries that will only mean you get binned in the first few weeks of training,why waste all that time and energy, do it once,right!

matt0111

Reaction score
best thing to do to keep your fitness up if you cant run is loads of swimming and cycling..

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sam Forrest said:
Feel for you mate. I had to cancel my PRMC in Sept due to shin problems,and im still suffering more than 6 months on. Having only done a handful of runs since last summer. Its such a wide subject,lower leg injuries that classing it as shin splints wont help much,lots of people will tell you they were able to run through them (In which case it wasnt serious MTSS etc), but id strongly advise resting them,even if you have to postpone.Im still looking to join up,but as of yet i cant see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Im keeping my fitness up,and have been for months ,by boxing,swimming,clycing and intense circuit training (30mins non stop,including burpees,sprints etc to tax your CV system)

Stick with it mate,i was really depressed for months when i had to cancel,im just starting to get motivated with training again though and i know one day ill be fine!

I wish you the best,and if it hurts,dont do it! There's no Commando spirit in running through serious mechanical injuries that will only mean you get binned in the first few weeks of training,why waste all that time and energy, do it once,right!

thanks mate....Ive had it before and its "normally" gone after a few days....bought some insoles for my shoes to help and using gels and painkillers and anti inflammatories...which i never do....but i wont risk it..*text deleted* give it til 3 pm Monday

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
well....im feeling pretty good.

so its full steam ahead...went out for light jog this morning...bit ache..but thats to be expected.

so *text deleted* have another 40 hours rest should be perfick to start all the good fun on wednesday morning...

cant wait now!!

amb03

Reaction score
Alright mate, ive been following your progress for the last week or so, felt gutted for you getting an injury so close to PRMC. Glad youre *text deleted* go for it, commando spirit and all, but ive gone and got myself in exactly the same situation as you. My PRMC is next week, and ive gone and strained my hamstring. Im hoping a week of physio, acupuncture (bit strange but my physio reckons its great!) and ibroprufen will see me fit enough to pass. Been running a few times since doing it, just get a mild twitch now and again and a bit of stiffness afterwards. I will be sensible though and postpone if it comes to next Monday and im not confident, fingers crossed though.

Just wish you all the best for tomorrow mate.

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
thanks very much...

ive kept my weight off it since i did it...taken today off work..so ive still got today and all tomo to rest it.

best thing i can advise is....

pain killers, ibruprofen tablets and gel, deep heat,ice, hot baths, glucosimine tablets...you name it ive taken it...accupuncture would be good...but not done that...keen to hear how you go on with it.

things is for the last 4 days i always intended to nothing and rest.

but it feels ok...so im happy!

oh...im assuming you went to the manchester office careers office? sure we will of met at the breifing