AFCO have confused me!!

ashlito

Reaction score
Hi guys,

It seems like it decision time! After going to my local AFCO to put in place my application for the Marines, i was given some alternative career choices that i could make, given that im a graduate and my age etc. The chap i spoke to thought i should consider going for Air Engineering technician, as it would offer greater prospects, money and some clear transferable skills to civi street.

Of course this is a complete contrast from becoming a marine! but what do you guys think? should i consider this to be a better career choice being that im 28, and need to think about that for my future?

Its not an easy decision for me at all! and that may seem like im being indecisive. However its a big decision at this time in my life...and in additon to that i cant stop thinking about that GREEN BERET!

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Many thanks

ashlito.

ant

Reaction score
hi ashlito erm well im not sure what advice i could give you but to follow your heat,if you want to see action then i would say royal marine to be honest

breeny22

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
my careers office gave me several options but all i wanted to do is be the best,if you want action the deffo be marine but you have to think about whats best for you, dont forget tho that being a royal marine would be the best career as far as action is conserned, good luck matey

ant

Reaction score
also mate there alot of qualifications you can gain wich you can take into civi street which will open a wide range of doors for whatever you choose mate best of look

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I understand why you would be confused when faced with that decision, but i would simply say think about the reason you chose the marines in the first place... If you want to be a part of what it means to be a Royal Marines Commando then go green beret but if you want a more stable lifestyle with better salary then go Air Engineering technician, you will still be doing your part and no one has the right to think any less of you for doing so. You keeping planes/choppers in the air helps the green beret that needs it too.

However now that i have said something sensible allow me to end off by what the little marine inside me is saying.... GO GREEN BERET!!! hehe

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Have you looked into the prospect of becoming an engineer and then doing the All Arms Commando Course-not sure if you could do this but worth asking

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Do what you want not what you think you want. If you want to join the RM then join the RM. Look into the careers of the Navy and RM and choose which you'd prefer as a RN might have something you will enjoy whereas the RM might not.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The simple reason the AFCO advises you of the options available is because once you join you cannot transfer jobs, so you need to be sure you are making an informed choice. You'd be pretty miffed if you started one job only to find that had you known it, there was a job better suited to you, which you could have applied for.

Air Engineering Technician (AET) requires a significantly high Recruiting Test score & involves a lot of academic study, in particular in the mathematical area. Currently in phase 2b AET technical training there is a very large failure rate in the technical examinations- if maths isn't your thing, forget it.

Once qualified as an AET you could request a draft to the "Junglie" squadron who currently operate SeaKing helos in support of the Royal Marines. You can also complete the All Arms Commando Course and become a green beret Royal Navy Commando working as an aircraft maintainer in support of 3 Commando Brigade. Not many do this, but it is possible, albeit not easy nor guaranteed.

In short the AFCO are there to advise you what jobs are available, it's your choice what you do, nobody else's. To pass as a Royal Marine Commando you have to be 100% committed - that's why not many make it.

Rather than confuse you, the AFCO have exposed the fact that perhaps you haven't considered the options before making a definitive career choice.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
at the end of the day he's advising you on what you can do, but you dont have to do it. in all respects there are many jobs out there that would acctually be better for us than some of the jobs that the military offers, as they are from civvi street and can transfer to other areas, plus you can climb the career ladder and earn waay more than you would as a marine. but in all due respect i would rather be a marine and earn £12,000 a year than be in a random job i dont really like and be earning over £100,000 a year.

really what im trying to say is, although that job may be better for you, do you really want that job over being a marine?

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i like to say that i am a royal marines commando rather than an ATC or something. sounds gucci.