AFCO info.

rogue royal

Royal Marine Commando
Reaction score
Just a thought but would it not be a good idea for the afco's to point any potential recruit in the direction of this website?
I think that there is an answers to every question that anybody could possibly ask and a varied array of people at different stages of their Royal marines journey.

If the afco personnel spread the word then maybe together we could enlighten many possible new recruits that could be getting put of because they cant find the answers they are looking for and also be a machine for concerned parents/family to ask any questions also.

maybe we should have a new thread for family/friends that may have more probing questions thus easing their minds to what their young men could potentialy be joining.

all the best to you all.

Rogue royal

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Good idea rogue :D ... though they might not be keen to do so, as the site is independant of the Royal Navy, it gives advice/info that they may not be able to certify and have no control over .... that could be a possible downside of it .... but i certainly think its a damn good idea!

Have to say that i stumbled across this site by complete accident, but im so glad i did, because more than likely i'd had questions that needed answering and having this site as a point of reference made things alot easier!

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah good idea something Ive thought about on and off since finding this site. Perhaps each AFCO or AFCO area could appoint someone to be a liason officer maybe even become a site admin just to keep the info correct. Ninja_Stoker however does a fine job of this so perhaps the other AFCO's would be happy to give there backing knowing that Ninja is onboard to keep everything straight *text deleted*?????

Just a quick thought :-D

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
I think there might be a few reasons why they don't at the moment. When I'm down on the prmc I'll have a word with a few staff at Lympstone and see if they can send word back to the AFCO's regarding the site.

I think one of the concerns might be if we give out the wrong advice and the Royal Navy have an official link to us, they could be subject to legal action. It sounds a little silly but they have to cover their backs etc. Another might be that they think it is a commercial website and operating to earn cash or will in the future (which it never will, don't even need any donations).

It has been suggested that lympstone direct people to mfat, but not sure what exactly the reason is, but hopefully this site has now proved itself as a good information resource and they'll be able to judge how the site operates now.

But points taken guys, I'll step up the efforts to raise the profile of this site.

GW

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What if happen if there were more Ninja Stokers onboard people who are actually in the Navy or RM keeping the info in check, do you think then that they'd direct people here?

This site unlike the others out there as has been discussed before is very very valuable full of good info from like minded people. I dont think anyone is afraid to post their questions and when they do they dont get stupid answers or put downs. I feel this site would do alot for potential recruits especially those who havent plucked up the courage to walk into an AFCO. I think were lucky to have the people we have onboard here and especially the fact that one of our admins is in recruiting so were able to get it right from the horses mouth :-D

Gaz

Reaction score
I think the best thing about the site is that every possible option is covered. We have people who have been in RT, or different military training. Young guys, older guys, people at every different stage of the recruiting process, and an actual recruiter! :D

Think the AFCO can point people in this direction, but not recomend it as such to watch there backs for any complaints!

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
this site to me has been outstanding....it was great find....anything Ive needed to know has been on here...and leading up to the most important part of my life ever (providing my pissing med docs turn up) this site has been major factor in my training by the people on this forum and my knowledge of things Ive had to educate my self about..and also get my self mentally prepared.

i found this site from a link on wikipedia

but im sorry the MFAT site is bobbins!

egotistical and pedantic is not the word.

robj

Reaction score
i think leaving the potential recruit to find websites like this by their own accord encourages initiative and, for example, if you mention to the AFCO in an interview that you've joined a forum for the royal marines then it shows more commitment than someone who just reads the info they're given.

As it stands, because this site isn't an official MOD website they wont recommend it to potential recruits as they don't have a direct input into the information provided, but to be honest this website has helped me a lot more than the official marines website, and even shows more accurate information (e.g. the PJFT in 10 mins flat, not 10:45)!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
From my perspective, working on the Careers side of the fence there's quite a few good issues raised here, all of them very valid.

First of all, just to re-iterate my position:

My position is to be here purely in an unofficial, voluntary & unpaid role - I'm not here as the voice-piece of "Captain Naval Recruiting" (our new title, this week). Nor here to judge or condemn, despite what may be thought inwardly. The idea is to provide plain, simple & accurate information, but most of all completely free.

Why do it? Because the RN is struggling to recruit sufficient Royal Marine Commandos nationwide & if this works, maybe it's an initiative that the RN/RM may decide to eventually endorse. There was nothing like this available when I joined - Here, you ask the question, you get the personal answer. No-one wants to read reams of stuff you don't want to know about or to be told offhandedly "read the website" or "read the book" by someone who hasn't even read it themselves. (If they had, there wouldn't be so many mistakes on the official website).

In an unofficial role, people can & believe me, frequently do, PM probably more questions than ever get posted on the site. They are more often the type of question that the individual would not want to ask at an AFCO for fear it would possibly prejudice their application, or often simply because they do not want to appear foolish. They are assured anonimity.

Apart from working in the careers service, it's fortunate my colleagues include (all currently serving): a RM Captain, a RM Corporal, various "loan draft" temporary RM other ranks, the area RM Visibility Team, an RM SNCO working locally and the advantage of liaising closely with the RMR.

Often, you will notice that there is a delay/deliberate avoidance of answering a non-textbook question whilst canvassing the opinions of the Royal Marines that work alongside me, before expressing their better informed opinions in areas I'm not familiar with.

It has been suggested the official RM website has an interactive Q&A section, but given it takes over 6 weeks to correct a simple textual error, this will be a long time coming.

Hopefully the word will gradually spread that the advice here is free, factual, up to date & accurate, albeit unofficial. All I'd ask is that you please spread the word & if you think we're getting it wrong- tell us!