AFCO Interview for Potential Y.O's

D

DevonCadet

Hi,

Just a quick question, I have my AFCO interview with an officer from Plymouth in a couple weeks and was wandering whether it differs much from the interview for marine recruits? I have been reading all the posts on the standard interview and just don't want to be caught out by any unexpected questions!?
Is it required to have a more in-depth knowledge and understanding?

Thanks,

DC

SJ55

Reaction score
Hey DC,

Is it your initial meeting at the AFCO or the SIFT interview which is the stage after successfully completing the physcometric tests?

I can only speak from the experience during my SIFT Interview and imagine it can differ from place to place but I wasn't asked any questions in relation to RM/RN history, current operations or general knowledge.

It is a formal but relaxed interview (make sure you dress smart, are confident and assertive, give good impression etc.)

They are trying to learn a bit about you to see if it is suitable for you to continue with your application. I was asked about my background, family life, experiences with leadership, organisation, management and team working and the motivation behind wanting to become a RM Officer.

Hope this helps.

Steve

D

DevonCadet

Thanks Steve,

It is the Sift interview then. I have just completed the psychometric testing. Sounds like it is fairly similar to the structure of the normal AFCO interview then.

How did yours go? Also how long (ballpark) did it last?

Cheers,
DC

SJ55

Reaction score
It lasted roughly 30minutes including the time it took to photocopy the documents that I was instructed to bring in. Mine went really well thanks, and I was able to proceed to the next stage. As long as you know your life history thoroughly and have a few examples of leadership, management skills etc. you shouldn't have a problem.

Remember this was just my experience though. I would have thought other Officers in other areas of the country may be after more than this, so just prepare as much as you are able to and you can't do any more than that. Anything that doesn't come up in the SIFT Interview is more than likely to come up in POC/AIB so it won't be wasted effort!

Good Luck!

Steve