AFCO Presentation

rmc_86

Reaction score
Hello guys, I have just spoken to the Careers Advisors who have arranged for me to go to my local AFCO for the first time for a presentation. 2 things:

1. I am still not fit enough to join the marines and probably a good bit overweight, should I go (I would obviosuly call them to cancel)??

2. If I go what do I need to wear?

Thanks guys!

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
well i weighed 14 stone when i first went in mate and he just told me what kinda exercises i need to be doing etc and told me i look like a rugby player *text deleted* then what to wear I would say just somthing smart casual for your first meeting , if its an interview then a suit but its not they just have a chat, but some people do go in suits best of luck

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My presentation wasn't actually a presentation I was just shown a couple of DVDs but I still dressed smart (don't think it's required though because you're unlikely to meet your interviewer/main recruitment contact at this stage).

You'll probably be given your application form after this but you won't have a deadline to hand it in. From application hand-in to PRMC typically takes between 3-4 months. It took about 2 1/2 for me and this is quite a short time to get into shape, especially if you're overweight. I'd suggest you get into shape for at least a month or two before you even think about starting the process.

rmc_86

Reaction score
Cheers Plummy,Mackie :wink:

Mackie, do you think I should wait a month or so then until I am a bit more in shape/fit? Or should I go but wait a couple of months before handing in my application?

Thanks again!!

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hiya mate ... just wondering why you think your unfit/over weight? might seem like silly question but you didnt really give an explanation as to why you think that ... there's a difference from being totally unfit and not being fit enough to attend prmc ... :wink:

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well ideally you want to be as fit as a fiddle for PRMC. You should be ok to apply after only a month, as long as you have a progressive fitness regime and really work at it.

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i was unfit when i went in and i sent if off striaght away for motivational reasons. but they offer u a PRMC date but u can say you dont feel like *text deleted* ready yet. my afco didnt want to give me it as i didnt look ready
but inside i was *text deleted*

rmc_86

Reaction score
Shiloh79 said:
Hiya mate ... just wondering why you think your unfit/over weight? might seem like silly question but you didnt really give an explanation as to why you think that ... there's a difference from being totally unfit and not being fit enough to attend prmc ... :wink:
Hello Shiloh, thanks for your reply mate, well I must be honest I used to play alot of sports and knew how fit I was then.

But now I am about 16 stone and haven't done any type of exercise in about 2 and a half years. I have only started running, press ups, sit ups and weights in the last 2 weeks and I myself can feel the difference now from what I was then :eek:ops:

Any tips ha ha?

rmc_86

Reaction score
Plummy said:
i was unfit when i went in and i sent if off striaght away for motivational reasons
Thats sort of why I wanted to start the process now to give me a goal and something to aim to. To be honest I have had no motivational problems but I just feel if its there I will try that bit harder.

Thanks mate

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
rmc_86 said:
Shiloh79 said:
Hello Shiloh, thanks for your reply mate, well I must be honest I used to play alot of sports and knew how fit I was then.

But now I am about 16 stone and haven't done any type of exercise in about 2 and a half years. I have only started running, press ups, sit ups and weights in the last 2 weeks and I myself can feel the difference now from what I was then :eek:ops:

Any tips ha ha?
Ha ha you probably know more about getting fit than i do mate if thats the case but if i can offer any help i'd be more than happy to!
Check out some of the "training routines" in the "training methods & diets" section -
http://www.prmc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=754

Hopefully you'll get some good info from there :D I've pm'd you too with some routine's i was doing to have a look at ... but as always mate what suited me may not suit you but worth a look aways :D

rmc_86

Reaction score
So what do you guys think, go through with the presentation just now or give it another try in a month or so?

Do you think it might be best to ask Ninja since he may have been faced with this in the past?

Thanks alot!!

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
rmc_86 said:
So what do you guys think, go through with the presentation just now or give it another try in a month or so?

Do you think it might be best to ask Ninja since he may have been faced with this in the past?

Thanks alot!!
I'd say attend the brief ... that way you have a bit more info - discuss your concerns with the afco and then take it from there mate! Your not losing anything either way ... :D

rmc_86

Reaction score
Thanks Shiloh :wink: cheers for your PM as well mate. Much appreciated!

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
rmc_86 said:
Thanks Shiloh :wink: cheers for your PM as well mate. Much appreciated!
No worries mate ... feel free to message me again. :D

rmc_86

Reaction score
PAGreenwell said:
I'd say go in for the presentation, explain to them that you're not fit at this time so are just coming in to get some initial information.

Then you will be able to take home some leaflets etc cut out some of the pictures and stick them on your wall as motivation.

Good luck
Cheers mate, I think I'll go and also just keep my head down and get stuck into training and eating healthy.

Thanks PAGreenwell

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
PAGreenwell said:
I'd say go in for the presentation, explain to them that you're not fit at this time so are just coming in to get some initial information...Good luck
Apologies for not coming back sooner on this one, but PAG has it exactly right- you don't have to be 100% ready for PRMC when you start the process off.

rmc_86

Reaction score
Thanks Ninja, thanks to eveyone who replied, I will go on Tuesday and let you know how it went.

Thanks again!