AFCO

ALDL9RM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Morning fellas, just wondering about how much information I'll receive on my first visit to my nearest AFCO? Also have a few questions about whether I should walk in or call and try to arrange an appointment with somebody in advance, and whether I need to wear a suit/shirt and tie every time I go in, from the first time to the last time.
PS: Looking back, I understand that this is probably already a thread, or has been answered by one of the all knowing people on this forum(looking at you Ninja;)) but I'm just going to keep it up as it keeps people busy!
Cheers.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Also have a few questions about whether I should walk in or call and try to arrange an appointment with somebody in advance, and whether I need to wear a suit/shirt and tie every time I go in, from the first time to the last time.

Just some general observations from me. Hopefully others will chip in with comments based on their own experience.

Some will tell you to wear your smartest rig as every element is fundamentally a job interview. Others will say that they strolled in off the street wearing shorts and t-shirt. Sensibly though, there is a happy medium whereby a candidate demonstrates his or her respect for the organisation they aspire to join by what they wear and how they conduct themselves.

As an aside, when this question crops up anxiety is often expressed about what other candidates will be wearing. Some seem reluctant to appear 'too smart' if other candidates are dressed for the ale house. The opinions of other candidates count for nothing.

I don't think you need a formal appointment at all. But if you feel more comfortable, give your AFCO a quick call to check when would be best for you to visit.
Let us know how you get on. Feedback is helpful for others. Best of luck.

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Whenever I’ve gone into my AFCO, I have called in a day or two before “is it ok to come in and discuss X and Y?” “Great, expect me about 11 o’clock Monday morning.” For example.

When I had my first interview, I wore a suit and tie but every time after that it’s been black shoes, smart trousers and a shirt with no tie, always clean shaven and tidy hair.

Imperator13

Reaction score
First time I went into my AFCO was for my Psycrometric tests. Every time I went I wore a full suit, clean shaven and short tidy hair. Polished shoes as well:D

If you are just going for a kind of informal chat for information and haven’t even applied yet, I’d just wear smart rig, nice jeans (no rips in) and smart t-short or shirt etc!

I also feel like calling in advance to make sure they aren’t *text deleted* be to busy with scheduled appointments might be a good idea as not to waste a trip, also seems respectful and polite!

MumtoRM

Reaction score
I would personally advise to not bother visiting on Friday afternoons as make-and-mends are often to be had then! :D

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Traditionally AFCOs are usually visited on Friday afternoons by undergraduates. Presumably this when they get out of bed, ready for the weekend.