Afco

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Hi guys just a quick question. Next weekend i was thinking of going down to my local AFCO as according to you guys it's a worthwhile trip. But as i've only just turned 15 i'm not even old enough to apply yet. Also what am i supposed to say when i walk in *text deleted*. While i'm at it i believe 15 years and 9 months is the minimum age to apply. Does this mean as soon as i'm that age i will be able to request a date for PJFT. Cheers.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Just go on in and say your looking to join the marines, but your not of age yet. They will give you all the information you will need, the date for the PJFT is subject to you first passing your psychometric test, interview and medical, after those your date for a PJFT will be issued.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Be aware most AFCOs are closed at weekends. You may start the actual selection process at 15 & 9 months but cannot join until the last GCSE has been taken in the June of your year 11, even if you have already left your school.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yes definately go to your AFCO, they'll give you all the information probably on both the Navy and Marines as they like to make sure you're making the right choice. Take this next 9 months to train! Seriously it's the best thing you can do, if you really want to join the Marines then you've got 9 months and in that 9 months you'll be suprised how fit you can get. Easy 6 minute mile pace and easily 100's of reps in your upper body.

Start now and you're in for an 'easier' ride.

Ninja, with regards to "but cannot join until the last GCSE has been taken in the June of your year 11", I'm 17 soon so it doesn't apply to me but it does make me wonder if I was just turning 16 I might not have been able to join untill June as I was home educated from the age of 10? Or does it not apply to those who don't take GCSEs?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The same rule applies- you cannot actually start RT until the end of June in the academic year you reach 16

Mark_Cox

Reaction score
Recruit Training

How old do you have to be to start recruit training? because I know u can do the PRMC when your 16 so can you start Recruit Training at 16?

jeremy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yes but you cannot go on operations until you are 18.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yes you can start when you're 16.

Foskee, don't forget when you join at 16 you've got around 3-6 months for the application process and 9 months of RT if you pass everything previous to it and you're not backtrooped for injury or failing a test.. So you're looking at 12 to 18 months of which you'll be half way through you're 17th year and almost 18 so there won't be much waiting.