Afco

Lain

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i'm new to the site.
I've got my AFCO later on today, i've gotten zero sleep as i can't stop thinking about it, so i thought i'd post my story here if anyone has time to read it. I was reading ninja-to's story here:

http://www.prmc.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2421

And i guess i'm in a very similar situation, i was previously living in china, teaching english. Although i had always intended to join the RM, i needed more time to train so i thought i would try to do something useful with the time and train in china. Problem was they had me working such huge shifts, i had no kitchen and the only place to eat within 2 miles of my apartment was mcdonalds.. i got no exercise and i was going backwards as far as my training was concerned. The school i worked for was a private school and the richest in the city, not exactly what i had in mind, teaching a bunch of rich kids who really didn't want to learn.
Long story short i decided to return, i had to leave my home and my job to return here to apply and train. Like ninja-to i'm now staying with a relative, basically everything is riding on this and upon reading the list of the various reasons to fail to qualify i can't help feelings a lot of those apply to me. I'm pretty sure i can pass the fitness side, i'm fairly fit now and i'm confident i can progress far enough to make it, i've been training as long as i possibly could every day, only stopping to avoid injury. I'm fairly sure i can pass the intelligence side also.. but i'm afraid to admit, in the past i wasn't exactly a model student at school and such, i got fairly good grades in school, though my attendance wasn't all that brilliant..
My grades at college really weren't good, i was really only there because i was unsure what else to do and didn't put my heart into it at all. This was some years ago and i feel i've matured a lot since then, i've always been sure to have perfect attendance since and I'm currently looking for work but i've been unemployed since i returned from china and it all seems like this may reflect very badly on me, as it stands i can't see that i have much chance of getting in, no matter how well i might do on the physical and mental tests. I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi Mate,

Somehow I always kept turning up for my afco appointments and RMAD's PRMC's and even RT with zero sleep and indeed last night, part of the fun I suppose and you'll get used to it in training anyway.

Back to your problem, just be honest and justify why you made the choices you did at the times and what factors caused you to make them.

If you realised you made your mistakes your nearly there to showing that you have come through that phase of your life and now onto the career phase rather than a job.

Hope that helps a little, but just be honest with them buddy and you'll be fine.

All the best
GW

Lain

Reaction score
Yeah, you're right of course, thanks for the advice. My biggest concern though is just that my application will be rejected straight off and i won't have a chance to explain any of it. Also just wondering if anyone else has had problems providing references, do you know what kind of references they'll require? Problem is, since i just moved back here i don't have any references in this country and the city i was living in back in china was right in the middle of that last huge earthquake, i havn't heard from a lot of people there since.. the ones i have heard from don't speak english. So i can see this being a problem, oh well i guess i'll just have to ask about this today at my AFCO.

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't read properly, thought you were still in China now. Yeah as long as you admit why you made those choices and that your heart really was'nt in it, you should be fine.

Lain

Reaction score
Just finished my AFCO today and got an application, it went great and as opposed to what i earlier believed i realised the background checks seem to be the last thing they do so i guess that just gives me even more reason to train harder and perform better in the tests and prove myself. So i guess its all good in the end, thanks for the replies.

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah the AFCO are so helpfull and you feel really confirdent and really detirmed on earning that beret on the first trip there.. Them showing you that DVD etc and having a good chat with a corporal, Telling you in detail what its about!.. I Loved it!.. Cant wait to earn that green beret now!.. All the best to you mate!. But like alot of people say its all about the training mate!, If you dont train you have no chance, But if you do train you do have a chance!.. 99.9% Need not apply they dont say it for nothing. One of the hardest training courses in the forces!..

All the best
Sam