Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

After you pass out, can you choose where you are stationed?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Trooper149, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Trooper149

Trooper149 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I understand that during Tour of Duty, you have no choice (understandably), but after you pass out, you will get sent to 1 of the 4 Royal Marine bases in the UK; Faslane, Arbroath, Taunton and Plymouth.

Personally, I really want to be stationed in Plymouth as it is a large city and I want to be as far away from family as possible + I don't want to be stuck in an isolated barracks, which according to google maps, the other 3 bases look like (correct me if I am wrong).

Appreciate any further info on social life, freedom and accessibility in the Marines.
    Tom

2. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

Oh how wrong you are, young padawan.

Plymouth is an absolute hell hole, which if hit with a tactical nuclear warhead, would cause £1500 of improvements, without affecting the locals.

You'll never be isolated in any camp, you'll always have friends around you or the ability to travel away from camp if you choose.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  3. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

It’s got Union Street though!

• Seen Seen x 1
  4. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

@ex killick So has Bridgwater, that's a hell hole too:D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Bridgwater is paradise compared to... Highbridge! :eek:

6. sy_lume

sy_lume Royal Marines Commando

You basically fill a form out and put what unit you to go to in an order, but you'll always go where the corps needs you.

Also 45 is in the middle of nowhere (ish) but by far the best unit :cool:

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Already been done - Hitler probably dropped the equivalent nuclear yield of explosives on Plymouth as was dropped on Nagasaki during WW2, I'd guess.

8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Ah... that explains the beauty of the city. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pogorabbit

Pogorabbit Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    My son went to Faslane and he loves it. They're kept busy, plenty of training and they can go into Glasgow when they have time off. Helensburgh is apparently very nice. It's also the other end of the country from us so that might have been a factor;)

• Like Like x 5
  10. Trooper149

Trooper149 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Sounds good and why all the hate against Plymouth? Its got 100000 people. More lassies to read poetry to ;)

• Disagree. Disagree. x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2019
  11. Trooper149

Trooper149 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Helensburgh and Garelochhead have populations of 10000, your going to be courting someones sister in no time, in those places XD

• Disagree. Disagree. x 2
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2019
  12. sharpe

sharpe Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I’m not a moderator so this is purely my opinion but I’d be mindful of the sort of comments you post. Aside from people looking to join there’s a very large number of parents and partners including those sisters and their mums. It’s an open forum so I’d exercise a bit of common sense

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree. Disagree. x 1
  13. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@Trooper149 Robust debate and forthright views are welcome on the forum but comments considered inappropriate are not. Only this one warning.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Plymouth in the 1970s was a brills run ashore. Two Commando Units and a large naval contingent made for a great place to be. Now it's a crap hole. Union Street is nothing like it used to be and the best spot nowadays is the Barbican. I was down there today and the best bit is the A38 out of it.

Oh, and my wife is a Plymouthian, but hasn't lived there for over 40 years and she flatly refuses to go back unless it's absolutely necessary.

Alan

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  15. Trooper149

Trooper149 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I do apologise, just some boys chat, but I guess not appropriate for an open forum.

• Like Like x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
  16. Cheezy hammy eggy

Cheezy hammy eggy Active Member

@Pogorabbit
    My son has been drafted to 43, he doesn’t have much info on it at the moment as he’s on his driving course at CTC,
    Any advice is most welcome for him to get genned up, please PM me if you wish.
    Thanks!

17. Cheezy hammy eggy

Don’t like Plymouth
    Too many “ Oggie” field gunners giving it Charlie Potatoes!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

I definitely don't like the Devonport crew. I squared up to a one man mountain in the Majestic one night, who was a one man trapping machine of a stacks rating. All I can remember is getting thrown out by the bouncers to a round of applause from the guys in my Troop and waking up to a busted nose in the morning claiming that it was a "lucky punch!"

Alan

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  19. Cheezy hammy eggy

That’s them all over, we gentlemen of the Fleet Air Arm Field Gun would rather challenge you to a game of backgammon or chess!
    :):)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  20. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

What about “Uckers”? WAFU rules, naturally.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1