Afternoon fellas

seasalt

Reaction score
My first time on here.

My bro joined the corp back in 94 when he was about 19/20 and I'm interested in joining now but feel like I'm an old fart *text deleted* I'm 30! :uglyhammer:

Does anyone know whether you get any older fellas in RT or is it all young whipper snappers??!!

I'm just interested to see what people think about older guys joining especially as most of the training team/ officers all seem to be in their early 20's too.

Cheers.

SS. :bud:

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well im new to this site to and i havnt applyed yet but am going to soon im 16 and dont see any problem with somone older joining i mean the younger lads might look to you for advice and u will probally be considered as kind of a leader out on field exercises or somthing because you would be more wiser but i personly dont see any problem with it

sooty795

Reaction score
when i was in RT there was a good mix, shouldn`t be a problem regarding your age

RH

Reaction score
Welcome and good luck with your application mate

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Welcome SeaSalt,

Your age won't be a problem, you'll have some on 28 29 30 in your troop and maybe the odd 32.

Wouldn't worry about it, age does have it's benefits as well though. You watch as the 16 17 years olds fall a sleep in class lesson, it's pretty funny to watch. But often during gym sessions I kept threatening them to slow down, fast little gits :nunu:

But it's a good mix and does work well.

All the best
GW

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
We've got a few guys on the site who are 32 and joining so no need to worry about age, aslong as you meet the required standards you have just as much chance as everyone else.

Good luck in your application =D

Ash

seasalt

Reaction score
Cheers fellas,

Really appreciate the responses I've had, certainly makes for interesting viewing.

So does anyone know if you successfully complete RT are you shipped off to Afghanistan or I guess it depends on which unit you're posted to??

SS

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
As said before on the site, chances of being deployed to the 'ghan in the next 6-10 years is pretty damn high. All of 3 Commando Brigade will take it in turns but yes it does depend on which unit you're posted to, to how long before you go out there.

South

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ello mate

welcome and good luck with your application process!

Boataimer

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
hello fella. i thought i was an old knobhead at 26 but the way i look at it im hoping ive got a slight mental edge over the younger folks (not knocking the young bloods) but i like to think when it comes to rt ive got a good mentality and if i end up in digs with a few youngsters i could help them out, at the end of the day were all there for the same thing.
Like i said without offending the younger lads, you should be confident when you apply that your old bastard qualities will not only help you but might help out younger lads.

seasalt

Reaction score
Positive thinking Grimesy, I like it pal, you make some good points there! :applaus:

It does appear that no one gives a *text deleted**text deleted* about yor age from what I've seen so far.

SS