Age, Law about under 18s?

PRMCjamesb

Reaction score
alryt everyone, well im 16 in 8 days. I have my pre joining fitness test on thursday this week. Something came to my attention when i was looking through the web and I havent been able to verify it... if all goes well and i pass out in the 8 or so months i get to train, this means i will still be 16... is there a law which stops me from serving in afghanistan or other such conficts before im 18?

Cheers

Roy Brown

Reaction score
I was wondering that too and just to add to that if you are under 18 do the marines need your parents permission or do they need to sign anything for you to join?

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
As for the above comment, I think they do need to 'sign your life away' as such, however it also means that during the first 4 weeks, where over 18s MUST stay during RT, under 18's can leave whenever they like, from Day 1 - right up until 6 months has passed.

Ross.

mr.sniper

Reaction score
Back in the Falklands war you were allowed to go to war if your 16 years old but this has now chandged to 18.

chelseafc

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ye 18 to fight an unders 18's need a parents signature

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I think you will either be based or go to schools and do unarmed combat etc

PRMCjamesb

Reaction score
k cheers for the fast replys, already got my parents consent form in just needed that verification. thanks

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I belive you can actually go places, meet intresting people, but not kill them untill you're 18. If you're still 16 or early 17 when you pass out then chances are they're not going to want you hanging around so they'll post you around the world but you won't be able to leave the boundaries and go on operation.

One reason I delayed my application untill I'm 17 is because I don't want to be waiting around a year as this puts alot of people off and makes them leave earlier. The quicker I can get operational the better =)

Needless to say if WW3 started then that'll waiver and they'll probably let you loose at 17, my dad was 17 when he first went operation in N.Ireland and the law was still the same back then, you had to be 18 but times were hard!