Age stats? One for ninja? Or anyone who has an opinion..

Mitch2012

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Morning chaps, now I'll be applying later this year when I'm of age, and I'm hoping that I'll be in RT round the middle of next year, providing everything runs smoothly! As you've probably gauged I'm still 15 and only around 6 months from being the legal age to apply, but what I want to know is, what are the statistics on a 16 year old boy who starts RT (might be 17 the time I hopefully pass out) passing out and earning his green beret? I know it can be done, but if the stats are low, that'll make me that little bit more determined! Cheers guys

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
no-longer-validshowthread.php?t=48392&highlight=average+age[/url]

Remeber mate, whatever the statistics, if you train hard and believe you can do it, you can.
Good luck with your application.

MW123

Reaction score
Seeing a lad as young as yourself so determined to join up really is good to see. But in my mind it does pose the question, how will you handle with exercises such as the firemans carry ect. remember your only as strong and as fast as the man next to you. Train hard and keep cracking on, remember the stats might not be in your favour, but if all else fails, it cant hurt to have a go, get an insight, then come back a year later stronger and better, more prepared then the lads your same age having their 1st go.

Kiddeh

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
This shouldn't be a deterrent but on my last PRMC there were 3 ex nods who left between week 11 and 15 because they "couldn't hack it" but when we asked them why they all said the same thing.... they weren't mature enough and 2 of them were happy that they left and got some life experience... sounds silly but there's a fair bit you might not do if your a royal so young... basically mate if you want to have a crack at it then do and best of luck to ya but asking for stats isn't going to help ya much because at the end of the day it's down to yourself and your own determination

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Generally those under 18 are still maturing physically & mentally, but it can be achieved through dogged determination.

Common snags for younger recruits, besides the separation aspects, are load-carrying elements of RT & borderline minimum weight issues due to the high level of CV exercise.

Mitch2012

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I can see what all you guys are saying, about the maturity thing and mentality.. But I believe I have already got these two major qualities, and they will be put to the test during the PRMC or even RT! As for the load carrying and firemans carries etc, I am worrying about them, but the way I am looking at it is, I have just about a full year of training, plus the amount of time I have spent so far training in the past 4+ months, I feel as if I could well crack the problems that lie ahead! As one of you said, it doesn't hurt to give it a try! Thanks a bunch fellas

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Never too late to get some practice in as you quite said :noworry:

Just practice some load carries every now and then.

Next time an elderly woman needs helping across the road, why not fireman's carry her across the road?

Mitch2012

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Never too late to get some practice in as you quite said :noworry:

Just practice some load carries every now and then.

Next time an elderly woman needs helping across the road, why not fireman's carry her across the road?

Haha! My dad's a fair size so when we head up the hills again I'll be sure to carry the big lump up and down ;)