Age Waver

Ginger

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just been given an age waver for the RMR. Why am i not allowed to join
the regs full time due to my age. I would love to join the Corps full time. My fitness is up to scratch and i think i am just as fit as the other younger guys at RMR???

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
...beacause your to young?

how old are you?

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Give us your age and we might be able to help

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
A common misconception is that because age waivers may currently be applied in exceptional circumstances for those joining the RMR, that it may be used as a "back door" route to regular RM full time service.

You are perfectly entitled to be deployed in support of the regular RM once fully trained within the RMR. Once fully trained, you may wish to further enquire whether you may transfer to full time service, but the current recruiting regulations do not allow it. Whether that changes is open to conjecture.

You must join the regular RM before your 33rd birthday, unless you are a fully trained Royal Marine Commando, wishing to rejoin. If you wish to rejoin you must be able to complete maximum pensionable service (18 years minimum in total) before age 55.

Until 2005 the maximum age for regular RM's was 26 and then increased to 32. Techically anyone over 32 now was overage by at least 4 years in 2005 and if they were under 32 in 2005, then they had 16 years in which to apply to join before reaching the maximum age.

In short, as things stand, the only reason you may join the RMR over the age of 32 is because they have not yet aligned with the regular Royal Marines or vice-versa. There is a move toward commonality with regard RM & RMR recruiting so things MAY change, but whether that means the RMR will reduce the maximum age or the RM increase the maximum age for entry is currently anyone's guess.

Best of luck in your aspirations- once trained, you may find things change- then again they may not.