Allergies - Immunotherapy, the solution?

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

For those suffering from allergies, as you possibly already know, they are a bar to entry.

This includes bee venom and food allergies (even mild ones), such as shellfish, nuts, kiwi fruit, etc. Oddly, a penicillin allergy is not an issue.

About a year ago, I received a question asking whether immunotherapy was an acceptable cure in order to meet the medical standards for entry. The individual stated; "I have researched 'Immunotherapy' which is a long and difficult process involving years of injections to build up resistance to bee venom. I would happily go ahead with this if it meant I could join at the end of it. However, I am concerned I may be rejected anyway even after the treatment."

My response was I believed it was unlikely to change the medical standard for entry but that it was worth registering an interest in joining the Armed Forces so that definitive advice could be given via the Service Entry Medical Cell.

Yesterday, I was brought up to date with the following message;

Indeed it does. Further advice, which we hope may help those that follow:

Fingers-crossed this information will benefit others who suffer from allergies.

Be aware the following caveat applies:

Cases are reviewed individually, no two are the same, there's no guarantee of success, but there maybe a way ahead.

Many thanks to Joe for providing the feedback.

• Like Like x 2