Alright Fella's

Mad Manc Matt

Reaction score
Alright Lads.

This My first time on the site so i'd thought i'd say HI :D .

My names matt and im 22, as you can tell i'm from Manchester and currently i'm serving in the Royal Navy, im in the process of changing to the Royal Marines and i am now waiting on a date for my PRMC, which im hoping is going to be late Jan or Feb.

Just thought i'd say Hey.

3 miles ?
Press ups 75
Situps 50ish
Pull Ups 12

Your Only As Strong As Your Weakest Man

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi Matt,

Welcome to the site mate, hope it all goes smoothly when transferring over.

Cheers GW

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hiya Matt & welcome to PRMC.

I'm assuming you have been given manning clearance from your source branch to transfer & hope all's going well on the training front. Far rather you transfer "in service" than have to submit notice, leave, then re-apply as a Royal - it can take months & months.

The problem for matelots serving afloat is not so much the upper-body preps & sit-ups that you can do onboard, but the opportunities to get ashore at least 3 times per week to do a proper 5 miler, rather than on a treadmill or around the upper scupper on a ship. (That would take forever on a T23, but imagine trying to get a 5 mile run in, on a 'sweeper!).

In the ideal world I hope you manage to either be alongside or shore-based for the last 6-8 weeks of physical prep before PRMC.

Good luck to you fella, please do join-in!

Mad Manc Matt

Reaction score
Cheers

Cheers lads,

well i've been told by my D.O. that my manning clearance is sorted and that all we are waiting on is a PSO interview and PRMC date.

my upper body is ok at the moment im quite a little bloke 5.7" and 10.6 st, so i've not got much to lift in pull up terms, my press ups are on the money, it's my fitness im struggling with because both our running machines are opdef :roll: so im having to run round the upper deck which for a mile is 7 times so you can imagine how boring it is.

I've booked extra leave over xmas so im off from the 20th Dec till the 8th of feb so i've got time to prep.

any tips or help is welcomed.

Matt

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It's probably fair to say Matt, that you're not the first sea-goer to come across this problem with regard CV work-outs. It's usually not for want of trying, but simply the opportunity to get a good straight-line, rather than orbital, run. Sadly prmc does not take this into account nor make any allowance.

Ideally you need runs over a bit of varied terra-firma, rather than dodging the inevitable screen door door opening outwards unexpectedly, officer of the watch manoeuvres, oil/fuel on deck, a sideways sloping 'track', ankle-breaking deck-fittings & a gaggle of goofers in your path, not to mention the odd inbound goffer!

The other thing you need to start doing is getting regular swims in as a form of non-impact CV exercise- not easy (believe it or not) when on a ship.

The only other advice I'd offer is don't bother carrying weights (haversacks) or wearing boots to run in.

Best of luck mate. The treadmills are OK, when working, to keep your CV up, but you really need some "proper" dry land runs.