Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Alright guys

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by AndyNI, Feb 3, 2009.

1. AndyNI

AndyNI Valuable Contributor

I'm kind of new to this whole thing but here goes nothin'.
    I'm 15 still in school and want to stay on until i get my A levels, so i have the necessary qualifications to apply as a potential officer.
    I'm really into sports and i enjoy playing hockey,rugby and football, especially with my mates. Support Manchester United, don't know what you guys think but I'm certain we'll have some "heated" conversations about it.:smile1:
    If theres anything else you guys want to know feel free to ask.
    :smile:

2. Scorpio

Scorpio Veteran Contributor

seems like a good plan, stick to it :smile:

3. AdmiralAwesome

AdmiralAwesome Active Member

Welcome!

I'm sure you know, 80% of people who get through YO training are graduates. I'm not saying you should go off and get a degree, but without one you'll really, really have to shine.

Get plenty of leadership experience any way you can - DofE, Cadets, Sports Teams, School societies etc.

I'm slightly envious. I wish I knew what I wanted to do when I was 15.

4. Sotiris

Sotiris Guest

Damn right Admiral!

Hi there, welcome aboard. Playing sports is good but make sure you're getting in a lot of circuit training. Totally different kind of fitness. Look at British Military Fitness and they may give you a little taster.

Good luck.

5. shady

shady Veteran Contributor

Your from belfast what part?

6. AndyNI

Well not really Belfast but the outskirts of it in a small town

7. AndyNI

Does anyone reckon it would be beneficial for me to get a degree?, I mean I could but I really honestly want to sign up and do something with myself.

8. AndyNI

Thanks this sites great but im already pretty tuned in with my fitness etc because i do PE for GCSE and regularly get A*:toung:
    Is there any specific types of exercises to focus on in my training though specific to the RMC

9. AndyNI

Honestly I had no clue about that, thank you for telling me because i would hate to turn up for poc out of my depth, Im going to have to think long and hard now. Cheers

10. Sotiris

Sotiris Guest

I did GCSE PE too, it not really the same.

Get a degree, there's no real two ways about it really. If you can you may as well equip yourself with as many advantages as possible.

11. mike webb

mike webb Venerated Contributor

*text deleted*, even though it did your knee in u still rave about BMF!

do they pay you or something sotiris? have you got shares in them? *text deleted*

mike

12. Sotiris

Sotiris Guest

Pain is just weakness leaving the body :fight:!!

13. AndyNI

thats a good line wheres it from

14. Degsy

Degsy Active Member

skool

hi mate, your still young so make sure you stayed focused. I wanted to join the marines whne i was *text deleted* age but got distracted by many things mainly girls. In my gcse got all C's except maths and got 20 point less then what i needed to be an officer. However i do have a degree in politics but with out the C in maths and 180ucas point is means f*text deleted** all. I am now 25 and after farting around in london for 6 years decided i was about time i followed my dream. And in some respects which that i went to the marines right after school. The best advice i can give is get *text deleted* qualifcations as it will give u more doors to access.
    And speak to AFCO

15. AndyNI

Thanks for the info and after all the replies ive had ive found out lots of important information which has helped me figure out what route im going to take. Thanks again and I wish you the best of luck in reaching your goals

16. chrisHTiD

chrisHTiD Valuable Contributor

Where are you in N.Ireland?? I live just outside Belfast as well.

17. AndyNI

A small town called Comber its near Newtownards

18. chrisHTiD

chrisHTiD Valuable Contributor

Yeh I know a guy called Alan Canning just moved there maybe a year ago now actualy. Drives a silver Corsa Irmscher at the minute I think. Used to drive a black Corsa C. I'm from Bangor.

19. cj395

cj395 New Member

poopooojjihjbhbjh

20. AndyNI

My mam works in Bangor I go there almost every day