Alternatives to running

J_Smith

Reaction score
I find it hard to actually get out running very often to due my location so are there any excerises I can do to get similar benefits to running?

Thanks,

Jay.

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
J_Smith said:
I find it hard to actually get out running very often to due my location so are there any excerises I can do to get similar benefits to running?

Thanks,

Jay.
Cycling, , especially with a programme, works the legs like a bitch so good for all the yomping in the RM's too, rowing, anything that gets your heart pumping well and gets you sweating ( oh missus)

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Swimming as well is good for you if you can include swimming in your routine. Treadwater whilst you in swimming, I usually include a few lengths of breast stroke where I just use my arms and leave my legs trailing. This gets the old heart pumping and is a good work out for your cardio system and your upper body :-D

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
When at the gym I use the cross trainer. At the moment Im using it for about 25 mins on the hardest level n i think its brilliant. Makes you sweat loads obv not as good as running though. I also go all out on the rowing machine. 3 all out goes for 2 mins each to let the heart recover.

the_robmeister

Reaction score
Rob- Do you do this instead of running due to shin splints? Just wondering as i do pretty much the same, using cross trainer and rower.
If so, how are you finding using these 2 items instead of running?

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
They are all good methods yes but at the end of the day when your out on speed march, on the endurance course or a troop run you wont have a cross trainin or a rower to do it on im not trying to be a kill joy but you need to do as much runnin as you possibly can. Marines thrive on it.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Im with Carl. There is no replacement for running, just small alternatives. Running is a once of a kind exercise that pushes the body and hits it hard.

the_robmeister

Reaction score
True, but if someone has shin splits and cant run, then the other two exercises make decent enough replacements untill running can be incorporated back into a training regime.
Much better than sitting doing nothing waiting for the injury to heal.