Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Am i going to fail!

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by LSW_02, Apr 14, 2019.

1. LSW_02

LSW_02 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    I'm 16 and i just had my psychometrics test which i passed but me and the other guy was with both failed the mechanical by 1 mark. I was told because of this i need to have a very good interview but I'm not going to.
    I was managed moved from my old high school to a new one where i am well behaved but my attendence is tragic. I have never really had any outside hobbies that i can mention i never really got involved in any particular club atleast not for that long to bother mentioning. I have never had an interest in school and have always hated it with a passion and i never really engaged at all. I always thought i would be a carpenter working for my grandad for the rest of my life which is also part of the reason i never felt a need to engage.
    The only problem in I'm about a month away from my gcses i have my interview coming up after i get my eye test and medical done so it could be as soon as 3 weeks away. I have grown up a considerable amount since deciding being a royal marine is what i want to do and i have started to attend the gym to help with fitness and am going to start attending army cadets this week to gain experience and show that i am making and effort.

Is this all to little too late?

2. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

Never too late shippers. I don’t think you’ll have a problem personally. Try not to over think things. Good luck.

3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Welcome.

Others will make their own comments but here's a few observations to kick things off.

There will be many on this forum who will be in similar circumstances to yourself but perhaps fewer with the honesty to public admit it.

You demonstrate maturity by admitting your previous shortcomings. Self awareness is important; many people spend a lifetime kidding themselves that adverse circumstances are always the fault of others. Having identified areas which you consider less than ideal the next step is to make a commitment to improve them.

Consider speaking with your head of year at school or college, explaining your career ambition and seeking advice on the best way of achieving it. If you've been a pain in the butt at school (as I was) that might be a difficult conversation but the outcome will be positive.

Be brutally honest at your AFCO interview about where you've fallen short of the standards you clearly recognise as being important.

Research the Royal Marines Commando ethos. This is a brief set of personality qualities which are rather a good guide to conduct in all aspects of life. I could easily post a link but that rather defeats the object. You'll find it.

Best of luck. :)

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Not sure I get the logic, you either pass or fail the recruit test, from an applicant's perspective. It's not a case of passing some parts but not others as far as the person taking the test is concerned. In any case, unless things have changed, your AFCO are directed not to reveal the scores...despite the fact you can obtain the score with a very simple Freedom of Information request.

If a bordeline pass, (ie, some sections are notably weaker than others) your Careers Adviser maybe looking for compensatory factors to ensure they have sufficient evidence to justify the application moving forward.

Whilst it is appreciated we all have our ups and downs as we grow up, the interviewer will be looking for evidence of "stickability", maturity, reliability, integrity, etc.

In short, you simply need to show you are physically fit & well prepared - it's no use saying "I will do this or that in future", you need to be doing it already.

If your reliability (timekeeping/attendance) is iffy or your disciplinary history is a bit dodgy, there's plenty of time to gain the evidence you are a reformed character.

5. R

R Well-Known Member

If you don't take part in the race your never going to win! Presentation and confidence is key, if you have been physically preparing and can demonstrate knowledge of the Corp, the purpose and how you will contribute to the organisations goals, all of those are strong discussion points during the interview process. An interview is a two-way conversation, it gives the recruiter an opportunity to look at you, for you to ask anything you want to know about the organisation, demonstrate you know about the organisation and the job you want to do.

A month is time enough to be prepared, if its what you really want fight for it! Lastly if in the unlikely event you arnt successful then, ask for what areas you need to improve then smash them on the second attempt.

Good Luck! PM me if you need any help or guidance, I'll point you in the direction of answers if I don't know, if you don't want to ask something on the open forum.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  6. LSW_02

LSW_02 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Thank you, these are all massive helpers as i was honestly going to walk into this interview with a "knowing i was going to fail" mentality which was pretty stupid now I look back at it so thank you for giving me a bit of hope and alot of useful advice to help me get closer to passing me this interview.

• Like Like x 3
  7. lilsis

lilsis Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Hi and welcome, u sound just like how my nod was hated school had no idea what he wanted to do so he decided to join the RM’s and 6 months later ended up at Lympstone! He failed his first interview as he did no prep about himself or what the RM’s was about the AFCO told him to go away research what it was all about and told him that to come back when he had that’s what he did and he is now on Easter leave and when he returns will be in week 25. So u need to read up about the RM’s you need to look into history and current affairs and go in there feeling confident about your knowledge and yourself, tell them what you are doing, how you are turning your life around and like what the others have advised you on. Don’t tell them that you will do this and that tell them you are doing it and be positive!!
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Like Like x 3
  8. SupportiveMum

SupportiveMum New Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    You've been invited back! Get doing some interview research and practice, there is loads of information on here on what might be asked. There is even a link to the History of the RM and a list of possible interview questions posted. At 16 I'm guessing you've not had many interviews, is there anyone you can have a little practice with of the questions and how you would answer them before you go? Dress smart, be on time, be honest, be confident, be respectful and be yourself! Good Luck!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sly3

Sly3 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Just be true to yourself and honest about everything no sense worrying. You are only human, besides it’s just a formal chat the interviewer won’t hurt you. As long as you know what you have in the bag you’ll be fine. I was the same way.

• Like Like x 1
  10. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I was completely honest with my careers advisor at my interview and he appreciates that more than anything!!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sly3

Sly3 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Then you’ve nothing to fear lad ! Fear is just a concept, overcome and adapt all that motivational, jargon lecture nonsense :)

12. westy

westy Well-Known Member

It ain’t me fearing mate,I’ve passed most of the selection process, just the Navy’s PRNC and then I’m off to Raleigh in June :D

13. Sly3

Sly3 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Standard ! Then get amongst it and baton down the hatches.

14. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

Fly the matelot flag kid! Fly it!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  15. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Proudly!

16. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

I know.

• Like Like x 1