Am I now barred from entry!!?

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me for sure if Iliotibial band syndrome is a bar from entry. It has now been confirmed that is what I have and that I will need Orthotics. Are you allowed to wear them during training?

Please help!! I have my PRMC booked for 09/09/08 so I've come so far, but my knee has really started to hurt when I run now.

Apparently Orthotics will solve this problem, but it will mean always putting them into my trainers or boots when doing Phys. To me this just sounds like a massive extra pain in the ar$e during training!

Ninja_Stoker said:
Admin edit:

To clarify:

Whilst 'off the shelf' insoles (such as sorbothane - often integrally fitted to training shoes already) are acceptable, prescribed, custom-made insoles can be a bar to entry as they indicate a significant pre-existing issue which is highly likely to recur in training.

There appears to be confusion with regard Orthotic insoles as they are commonly prescribed to recruits who develop shin-splints during training, which suggests that they are acceptable for those yet to join - they aren't.

To re-iterate, the medical standards for entry differ to the medical standards within the service. Once you join, the service will do it's upmost to avoid discharging recruits and trained ranks - But prior to joining anything indicating a higher than average likelihood of recurrence could be viewed as an unacceptable risk.

PB706k

Reaction score
You shouldnt be barred entry, lots of people had to have special insoles for their boots/trainers, but there were alot of lads in hunter with ITBS problems..

S

Sotiris

Chill Matt you'll be fine.

I'm sure I've told you a few times, the Captain that interviewed me was wearing orthotics himself. The plus side is that they give you really cushty boots that cost about 150 squids on the market.

If you get a couple of pairs of orthotics you can just leave them in your boots.

The only problem is that you'll have to break them in now. Don't run on them for about a month however. I've just done so and it really really hurts. Basically your body isn't used to the new balance. Everything is re-aligned from you feet, knees, hips, spine, shoulders. So the danger is screwing ligaments and joints as I've done. Just take it easy.

This takes time but you'll be ok.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Chill Matt you'll be fine.

I'm sure I've told you a few times, the Captain that interviewed me was wearing orthotics himself. The plus side is that they give you really cushty boots that cost about 150 squids on the market.

If you get a couple of pairs of orthotics you can just leave them in your boots.

The only problem is that you'll have to break them in now. Don't run on them for about a month however. I've just done so and it really really hurts. Basically your body isn't used to the new balance. Everything is re-aligned from you feet, knees, hips, spine, shoulders. So the danger is screwing ligaments and joints as I've done. Just take it easy.

This takes time but you'll be ok.
Cheers bud, thats a slight encouragement. I still find it hard to believe that just by having them in my boots it will stop this pain.

These boots, are they the standard issue or especially for people with this problem?

I cant afford 2 pairs, its *text deleted* cost me £360 already!

Knockton

Reaction score
I'm just about getting over it now mate, my advice is firstly rest it and just stretch the friggin thing every chance you get,
luckily ive got at least a month nd a half b4 my pjft so i can sort it out and get fitter.

I'm proper glad to hear that these lads have said it doesnt bar you from entry and if it goes again during RT we wont get mecically discharged (Y)

good luck with the injury and prmc mate

S

Sotiris

He didn't specify that they were for any particular ailment. I think they're probably for all orthotic wearing specials like you and me hehe. It'll probably have something to do with the depth of the boot. I don't know about yours but the heel on my orthotic is about an inch and a half...I'm a real special!

Yea you've got the uber tough expensive one like me then. I've only got one pair. Hehe you find that you'll only be wearing one pair of shoes from now on because I gave up on swapping them out all the time. Unfortunately the pair I've selected are uber gay shiney running shoes :nuts:!

The pain I used to have has gone. No exageration. I've been wearing my insoles for about a month now.

Alas, I tried running too soon and now my other knee hurts haha!

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Im just worried about PRMC at the mo. The last time I went for a run, my knee was in agony after 1 mile, then it hurts for about 2 days. If this happens on PRMC, thats it, I'll have to drop out there and then and go home, even though I won't be knackered.

I don't have them yet but I have seen examples and they do have an impressive heel on most. How much did they cost you?

They are made out of kevlar aren't they? which means they are virtually invincible and they are also bullet proof, which may come in handy in Afghanistan!

I am also having shockwave therapy on my right Iliotibial band!

S

Sotiris

I think my pair cost around 140.

Haha yea you'll have an inverted Achillies Heel!

I know it may be your very last resort but is postponing PRMC an option for you? I mean, if you have to drop out it could take you ages to get another go. And of course there's the very serious risk that you could cause severe damage by pushing yourself so far...but if you push the date back by a month or so then you'll be in much better condition all around.

I know it sucks but try to consider the worst case senario. You fail PRMC and come out of it with a bad injury that leaves your knee permanently weak and your confidence shattered.

Of course only you know what you're capable of enduring.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yea I think I will post pone it tomorrow when Im at the AFCO, I think I will just cancel this one and not book anothe rone until I know I can start to train for it again.

tony.ni

Reaction score
ive had itbs for 4 months now just getting my orthotics made, them with strengthing exercizes shoud make a difference in 6 weeks. my physio said, there costing me ?250.

S

Sotiris

I wondered where he'd gone. Didn't realise he actually failed it.

It's a shame really. It seems so many of the members on this site has been injured at precisely the wrong moment.

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
This has happened alot with many members... Either that or I keep reading the depressing pessimistic posts...

And Sotiris, you might want to go to a Chiropractor if you've been using orthotics, as they do absolute fudding marvels for body alignment. I had a sprained ankle, and after two runs on it with it not fully healed, went to the chiro, and they pointed out that I couldn't hold my arms above my head fully streatched, and keep my fingertips together! Then he crunched me, and it felt gooood.

If you haven't already, give it a go.

S

Sotiris

Aye, my girlfriend keeps harping on about getting myself "re-aligned".

Thanks for the heads up, will do.