Am I over training?

Reaction score
So to start off I work 6-11 6 days a week which is quite a physical job (a lot of lifting) and then train afterwards, I aimed to meet a spin off of Arnys training programme where I’m having Saturday and Sunday as rest days instead, just push ups, pull ups and sit ups on the Sunday, but I’m struggling to match it without getting run down. I start the week off well but after 3 or so days I start feeling weak and nauseous and struggle to push myself, I’ll still train for the full week but my results do drop off. I’m wondering wether this is mental or a genuine physical thing, I don’t like to think I’m making excuses and I get really wound up when I’m not meeting my targets, especially with an RMAD upcoming at the start of November! When I see that people are training twice a day and I’m struggling with just the once there has to be a problem. I feel confident in completing the RMAD with good results with rest before hand but my training is definitely way off. Please help any suggestions would be great!

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I know exactly how you feel.

You work 6 - 11 in the morning or the evening?
How much sleep are you getting?
Are you fuelling yourself sufficiently?

Reaction score
I know exactly how you feel.

You work 6 - 11 in the morning or the evening?
How much sleep are you getting?
Are you fuelling yourself sufficiently?

It’s difficult, I find it hard to tell wether it’s physical or you just need to get a grip and crack on! Yes i work the morning, from 5 in the morning til 3 in the afternoon I’m on my feet, as for sleep I’m getting a steady 7 Hours 6 days a week and maybe 8 on my day off so can’t complain! As for fuelling myself I upped the amount of calories around 3 months ago because I was loosing weight, I’ve always struggled keeping weight, I’ve been having 2 protein shakes a day between meals to help as they are cheaper than paying for 5 meals a day and I’ve maintained weight whilst upping my training. Thinking about it it could be to do with the times of my meals, from 5-3 o’clock I’m only having a shake and a bowl of cereal, in that time I’m working and training, all my main calories come later in the day so maybe that’s where the weakness comes from!

Canzmanz

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Just ease yourself into the programme, make sure you scran and drink plenty too!

Reaction score
Just ease yourself into the programme, make sure you scran and drink plenty too!

I might have a look at a few changes thanks! Do you think it could be down to the timing of my meals, should I be eating more before I train rather than afterwards? I do tend to drink lots of water.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Do you think it could be down to the timing of my meals, should I be eating more before I train rather than afterwards?

Some thoughts for consideration:

1. Perhaps eat a small amount of raisins (about twelve if you want to count) and about three almonds immediately before training. It won't bloat you out but it will give a modest boost to carbs and sugars.

2. If you've been training intensely for a prolonged period maybe reset the routine by resting for, say, one week. Perhaps just do some swimmining if you can. Then restart your training programme but mix up the routine so it's 'new' for your body. Think of it like it's pressing the reset button on a device.

Both the above have worked for me when my training has become a bit stale but everyone is different of course.

Reaction score
Some thoughts for consideration:

1. Perhaps eat a small amount of raisins (about twelve if you want to count) and about three almonds immediately before training. It won't bloat you out but it will give a modest boost to carbs and sugars.

2. If you've been training intensely for a prolonged period maybe reset the routine by resting for, say, one week. Perhaps just do some swimmining if you can. Then restart your training programme but mix up the routine so it's 'new' for your body. Think of it like it's pressing the reset button on a device.

Both the above have worked for me when my training has become a bit stale but everyone is different of course.

I think you could be right I’ll try eating before training but not too much to bloat me. And I had a few days off after my PJFT to get over a cold last week so I don’t think I need more time off but I’ll see how I go tomorrow, making sure I eat before training and see how I cope after a struggle today, thank you!

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Take a deload week, do 2, 3 mile recovery runs, slow!! 1 swim. And 2 gym sessions of 1 run through of the RMFA.

Reaction score
Take a deload week, do 2, 3 mile recovery runs, slow!! 1 swim. And 2 gym sessions of 1 run through of the RMFA.

Right I’ll give it a go, I suppose I’ll have two week after that to up it for the RMAD. Thanks for the advice!