Am I ready for the ROP?

Protein-bar

Reaction score
I'm booked in for ROP on February 1st. I'm not sure if I'm physically ready and hoping you can let me know.

I run 4 days a week.

On Monday I do the 1.5 + 1.5 mile run. I run the first in 11 mins and the second one in 10 minutes.

However this is a 9/10 on the difficulty scale and the next day (Wednesday) I'm running I can keep a 8 min mile pace for 5 miles as I'm running on tired legs.

Then on Friday I'll do the shuttle run (my second attempt I got to level 9 but I could probably do more).

Saturday I will do 4.5 mile at 8 min mile pace.

What is the running like once you get in? Will you be required to hit those top end speeds every day?

Last edited:

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
You've passed the VPJFT, the test that the Corps has put in place to assess suitability to begin training.

Trust the process, do not over think or overly judge yourself. Its normal to have self doubt however the guys opinion that matters have assessed you're good to begin ROP.

Also, try the 1.5 miler doing the first in 12.5 minutes. Im sure then you'll see the return time closer to 9 mins.

Protein-bar

Reaction score
Thank you, I'll try that on Monday. Do you run everyday in training? What's the intensity like?

Chelonian

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm physically ready and hoping you can let me know.
As stated by @Rob20 trust the judgment of the system. Many do not pass VPJFT+ so you've already achieved something.

Don't psych yourself out. Approach ROP/RT with a humble mindset but also with confidence and determination to dig out blind.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
To be honest mate things have changed abit since I went through. However early weeks I did a couple of steady 4/5 milers in trainers as a troop. But gym sessions would involve many camp circuits which are 800m sprints basically.

Later on you'll progress to speed marching in boots with kit, bottom field and later on commando tests etc.

You won't run everyday but you'll run alot. You could be tight for time so find yourself doubling round camp everywhere. With that in mind, in Commando Phase you'll do a 6 mile speed march to earn you cap comforter, and from there you HAVE to double everywhere when in rig. You'll then cover a shed load of miles on final ex, have endurance course and tarzan run throughs coming out your ears and eventually test week, so later on yes you'll run alot with kit on. But when training to join 3 runs a week is sufficient.

Coadee

Reaction score
Hello mate, I am also booked in for 1st February ROP too. Don't worry your fitness is fine, the thing you need to concentrate on is not worrying about it and start overdoing yourself over the next 2.5 weeks. Realistically your improvement over that time will be negligible, and you don't want to overtrain/ risk an injury that close to the start date. Doubt it perfectly normal especially as the time ticks closer till you leave, and you want to push yourself even harder each session, but it's about being smart now. See you down there!

Curql

Reaction score
Although you may not think your at your best yet, I do believe doing the same thing with other people helps push you as you don’t want to fall behind as well as finally being there gives you more of a push to do your best

Reaction score
What is the running like once you get in? Will you be required to hit those top end speeds every day?
From what i can gather/been told you only run beyond 4 miles once in ROP (i suspect its at the discretion of the PTI's if you do more, but this has been the case for the 2 troops i've spoken to) most of the running is 400/800m sprints. And you're only actually failed on the bleep test & pull-ups, though i'm sure if you turn up only able to do 20 press ups and 30 sit ups they'll fail you. Of course aim to max everything out, but as it says, its submaximal.

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
You'll do a combination of different circuits or interval training on top field, you'll need a good cardiovascular system as you dont want to bring any unwanted attention to yourself.

Suicides, amraps, numerous runs around the astro pitch in different intervals and four corners.

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
From what i can gather/been told you only run beyond 4 miles once in ROP (i suspect its at the discretion of the PTI's if you do more, but this has been the case for the 2 troops i've spoken to) most of the running is 400/800m sprints. And you're only actually failed on the bleep test & pull-ups, though i'm sure if you turn up only able to do 20 press ups and 30 sit ups they'll fail you. Of course aim to max everything out, but as it says, its submaximal.
They say its submaximal so wont push you to max reps on tests but any phys session you'll end up hanging out.

ROP is designed to improve your fitness to pass RMFA.

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The physical side is only part of ROP, it incorporates a lot more then being able to run so fast or bang out so many press ups.

You'll be tired and fatigued, expected to stick to specific details and timings, constantly hand washing your kit and ironing, and not to mention globe and laurelling it to death.

You'll have lots of inspections and your accommodation and locker will need to be up to standard.

Trying to take in as much information while you can in lectures and learning as much as possible while trying to stay awake is a real challenge.