Am i too late for 09 entry

MUMBLES88

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
Am i too late for 08 officer entry

Hi boys, am 19 years old, straight A's most of the way through school, couple of trips to the Andes/Amazon and for the last 2 years have been trying to make it as an elite sportsman. Becoming an officer in the RM has been playing on my mind for a good 2/3 years and, things having not worked out quite right with the sport would like to get on with joining. Will have interview at armed forces careers office this week and complete forms immediatley. I would like to get on the first POC possible and then AIB in order to try and get a place on the Sept 08 intake. How unlikley am i to get a place considering the lateness of my application?

Thanks

O

MUMBLES88

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
Oops, Yes Meant 2008 Entry, Will See If I Can Swing It! Will Let You Know!

MUMBLES88

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
Well boys, have got the ball rolling, 9:01am on the first day back after easter(today), called office have tests and interview on monday, 1230 sharp in London!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Good luck- do let us know how you get on.

My gut feeling, unless you're 100% physically prepared is that you may have left it too late to make it in time for a 2008 entry, but I'd be delighted if you manage to get through- we like success stories!

Without doubt you need to impress a great deal at this late stage & you have certainly made life a lot more difficult than it need be: but "cometh the (late) hour, cometh the man..."

Aussie89

Reaction score
good luck mate i hope you get 2008 for your sake. Wish i could join up now but i got a few years yet

MUMBLES88

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
cheers guys,

ninja, at the risk of sounding like a total wonker who has no idea what he's letting himself in for, i would hope that i was pretty close to 100% physically prepd, i have been a full time athlete (rowing) for the last 2 years training 4-6 hours a day 6/7 days a week. Although i havent run seriously for a few years now i was a junior track and field international back in the day, so i'm hoping that the base fitness is all there and all i need to do is re-teach the legs to run! New suit purchased yday smart haircut today, bought "royal marine commando's" by john parker and trawling wikipedia making revision notes!

o

ringo

Reaction score
mate thts awsome... i hope u do well and best of luck to ya.

ive heard how hard it is to get on the officers course and commend you for going for it.
again best of luck.

- Ringo

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As long as you are doing 5 mile runs approx 3 times per week (outdoors, not on a treadmill), completing the first 3 miles in under 22mins 30 secs, and the last two in under 16 mins, for the 4 weeks leading-up to your POC, then providing you're not carrying a lot of excessive muscle-mass, your current athletic background bodes well, particularly with regard upper body strength. (You can presumably already max-out on back-handed pull-ups [16], knees together sit-ups [85] & close-arm press-ups[60], given your well established daily workouts over recent years.)

I'd still recommend asking your ACLO if you may partake in a Royal Marines Acquaint Day (RMAD), if there's one available local to you, prior to attending POC, so as you are happy in your own mind that you have prepared in the correct areas. You should be looking to score a minimum of 21 points (unofficially) to be in with a realistic chance of passing POC.

To be honest, if you're 19, a national class rower, a Junior International track athlete & have straight A's at GCSE & A Level, then I'd give serious consideration to going to Uni to gain a degree before you join & you'll double your starting income (at today's rates) from £14K to £28k and have a degree under your belt for when you leave. With A grades across the board, you should be in with a shout for a Bursary (£1,500 per year at uni).

Best of luck for the Recruiting Test, Sift Interview with your ACLO & please do keep us posted.

MUMBLES88

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
I did look very seriously at going to uni, i was offered a scholarship to harvard, and had a couple of other places in the UK, but do not feel that i want or need right now, mum didn't go untill much later in life and i guess that just rubbed off on me, i want to make the most of my physical ability and mental agility whilst young and happily allow my body to break down and follow a more standard academic path (don't worry, i am aware that the YO training will be rigorous in both the academic an physical senses) later in life. Had a mess around with the phys today and pull up's and sit up's were fine, pressups mid 50's but havent done any for years so will get some work done. As for the bleep test, i was over L13 4 yrs ago, but am now a rather bulky 93kg, but can drop some in next few weeks, will start serious programme of running on Monday, have flat 7k and 4k runs allready planned and will attempt 3 building to 5/6 runs per week up untill POC as well as lots of endurance weights, circuits and other training!

Have just finished first 2 days of studying for interview halfway through corps history book (as far as Gallipoli), 6 hours of Commando : "On the Front Line," yes that is the entire series and a big old chunk of notes from Wikipedia. If anyone can advise on how prepd i should be for basic interview and where i can get a bit of a refresher on Iraq, Afghanistan and any other major national/international issues in which i should be well versed that would be most helpfull....

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
You may well have already seen this: (apologies if you have)

The following is taken from the official RM Website & amended to more accurately reflect the current procedure:

Not everyone has what it takes to succeed as a Royal Marines Officer. To prove to us that you have got what it takes, you will need to pass our rigorous selection process.

Step 1 Phone/Contact a Careers Advisor
Step1a) Sit Recruiting Test
Step 2 Attend Area Careers Liaison Officer sift interview
Step 2a) Pass Medical Examination
Step 3 Potential Officers Course
Step 4 Admiralty Interview Board

Contact a Careers Adviser

When you contact us about a career as an Officer in the Royal Marines, we will arrange a meeting between you and one of our Area Careers Liaison Officers (ACLO) after you have completed and returned an Expresion Of Interest Form and an Officer Information Form. You will then be booked to attend the Recruiting Test and invited to attend a presentation.

Recruiting Test

The short test is designed to find out your skills with language, numbers, reasoning and mechanical comprehension.

Meet an Area Careers Liaison Officer

Your Area Careers Liaison Officer will conduct a formal interview, confirm your eligibility and help you find out more about the Royal Navy and Royal Marines, and the jobs that could be right for you. They will also help you apply and prepare for the Potential Officers Course and the Admiralty Interview Board.

The sift interview covers 3 main areas, Communications, Leadership & Motivation. They are not expecting the "finished article" but the more preparation you do, the sooner you will attend AIB because you are a stunningly well versed individual, smartly dressed (jacket & tie or equivalent), shiny shoes, prompt, attentive, etc.

The areas covered break down as follows and the 100% "Ideal candidate" will posses all of the following qualities (very few tick all the boxes, rest assured):

COMMUNICATION
Positive body language
Good Power of expression
Appropriate language
Enthusiastic
Confident
Good eye contact
Able to articulate sentences clearly

LEADERSHIP
Demonstrates can lead team to success/achieve positive results
Capable of Planning ahead
Motivates team
Learnt from mistakes/experience
Good level of commitment to team
Good examples of leadership/taking charge/organisation skills and
likewise from school, university, part-time work, clubs, societies etc.
Teamplayer and team leader.
Trusted & responsible

MOTIVATION
Good level of Fitness.
Family/partner support.
Sound, logical reasons for joining RN/RM
Well thought out career choices
Good awareness of RN/RM; branch; terms and conditions; training pipeline
Realistic expectations
Reasons for joining RN/RM.
Length of interest.
Knowledge/Preparation for RN/RM.

Medical Examination

Then give you a full medical check to make sure that you are in good health before undergoing the rigours of the Potential Officers Course.

Potential Officers Course (POC)

The first stage towards joining the Royal Marines as an Officer is the three-day Potential Officers Course, which takes place at the Commando Training Centre at Lympstone, near Exeter in Devon.

We will test you mentally and physically, in the classroom, in the gym and on our assault courses. We will also test your leadership potential in teamwork exercises and a three-minute lecture you will give to a small audience.

Your ability to work as part of a team will be central to your evaluation. We are not just looking for leaders, but for people who can work together to help us succeed.

While you are at Lympstone, you will have the chance to meet Officers going through their first year of training. You will be able to find out exactly what life in the Royal Marines is like.

Admiralty Interview Board

If you have been successful so far, your next step will be the two-day Admiralty Interview Board at HMS Sultan in Hampshire.

Here, you will sit a maths test, reasoning tests, spatial orientation tests and tests for speed and accuracy. We will examine how much you know about the Royal Marines and you will have to write an essay to show us how well you can communicate in writing.

You will do a leadership test in the gym where you have to work with a team to solve practical problems. You will also do a theoretical problem-solving exercise in the classroom.

We will interview you about times when you have shown courage, leadership and teamworking skills; why you want to join the Royal Marines; and what your ambitions are for a career with us.

Prepare yourself

You will improve your chances at the Admiralty Interview Board if you prepare yourself well in advance.

Find out as much as you can about the Royal Marines – our operations, our equipment, our ethos and the way we work.

Think about times when you have shown leadership or responsibility, so that you have things to tell us in your interviews."

With regard current affairs, the Military News and Clips forum is an excellent read for RM AIB candidates together with the Foreign & Commonwealth Office website. (Just click on "Countries & Regions" for the full background in precis format.)

Again, you appear to be doing all the right things & the very best of luck.

LAS920

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hello mate,

I had my first pre-POC interview on the 29th of Feb and it went fairly well. I can't remember every aspect of the interview but here's what I can remember;

- Initially I was asked what I believed I had to offer the Marines as an Officer (standard job interview question, a theme that continued throughout)

- I was asked what I knew of the job I would be doing

- What I knew about the training, leading to what levels of fitness am I currently at, and what type of training have I been doing

- What I knew about the wage structure

- How my career might develop

- I was asked to give an example of a time when I had worked to achieve an objective

- I was asked to give an example of a time when I had been responsible for a group of people, i.e. been a leader

- I was asked to give a time when I had arranged an event/planned/organsed something

- He asked me very little about Iraq, and current conflicts, although he did ask me if I knew where all three Commando's are based, and at that point we did lightly discuss Afghanistan. I would'nt be to concerned about this kind of knowledge for your interview, although it will be vital for the rest of your application!

Thats the most I can remember really, was roughly 1 hour long and fairly relaxed, although still formal. My advice would be to relax (obviously) and be as varied as possible with your answer i.e. time's in charge must be different to times when achieved objectives if you see what I mean. Like you I am fairly sporty, I've represented the country at and international level in thai boxing, and my county in athletics, although I failed to mention this in my interview, although I had written it on my application, something which I attribute to nerves! Also, the Lt. advsied me to get involved with organising social/sporting activities in order to strengthen my chances at AIB, So i'm currently orgainsing a couple of walks and runs for charity!

Im in a similiar position to yourself. My fathers an Army Captain, so military has always been on my mind, currently at University (graduate this year) and looking for September 08 entry. I was warned that it would be a case of suck it and see with regards to making the '08 cadre though, however, I dont think it's the end of the world if I dont, means more prep and training!

Off the top of my brain thats the most I can think of, but if you have any questions drop me a PM!

Lee

MUMBLES88

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
Well boys, thanks for the help, had test and interview, both went great and am going on POC in 4-6 weeks and (providing i pass) the next AIB after that, the Lt who interviewed me (navy dude, really helpfull, nice guy) said that they'd give me a load of help to get ready for it and so on, he reckons there is a decent chance of getting in for 08 if i smash POC and AIB so...i guess i know what i have to do

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
- Give an example of when you have been scared?
- It is inevitable that people will be killed given the deployments currently, as an officer you may be in command of some of these. How do you think you will be able to cope with that?
- Have you ever seen bullying, and did you do anything about it?

Some of the ones that came up at mine!

MUMBLES88

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
Well boys, just goes to show that if you want it bad enough, you can go from initail inquiry to poc in 10 weeks after missing the december deadline by 3 months, would i advise it...hell no i scraped onto the last poc date this year any injury/illness and i'd be buggered! Get your applications in early lads far less nerveracking!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Well boys, just goes to show that if you want it bad enough, you can go from initail inquiry to poc in 10 weeks after missing the december deadline by 3 months, would i advise it...hell no i scraped onto the last poc date this year any injury/illness and i'd be buggered! Get your applications in early lads far less nerveracking!

Doubtless the same conversation will run next year as there are many that actually wait until they've graduated before they visit an AFCO.

You were fortunate that your ACLO was as accommodating because he would have been within his rights to have deferred. You're absolutely correct that it's a lot less stressfull for all concerned if you submit your application at least 10 months before you wish to join.

Best of luck on the last POC & again Good Luck with the AIB!

S

Sotiris

Haha well done M...honestly I'm quite jealous.

I'm stuck in uni for another 8 months or so but I'm going to start my application soon, within the next week or so.

I'm sitting on the fence though, POC or PRMC????

I've maintained decent grades throughout my school life and I'll looking to graduate with a 2:1 here. I'm a stage manager (yes it sounds lame!) which puts me in charge of a company of actors, musicians, crew members, designers, dancers on 6 week blocks so it has some decent transferable skills...ie organising/leading large groups of people.

The truth is that POC intimidates me. When do we have to make the final decision for which road I'll take?

POC or PRMC?